Beard hair

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum; it seems the most open and honest I have come across , so I thought I would post here.:)

Ive had 2 strip operations here in the UK by a leading surgeon. Mixed feelings tbh.

The first HT, while showing good growth, left me with raised bumps at each transplant incision( hypertropic scarring I believe?) which is quite prominent in certain lighting, as it follows the whole pattern of the HT.

The second was much better; what ever caused the initial scarring didnt re-occur and helped cover the initial scarring.

Firstly, I would like to ask what might cause this kind of scarring? : not making deep enough incisions? or not trimming each folecular unit correctly?

Secondly, I've heard a lot about beard hair. It seems rather extreme to me but I may have no choice :( soon.

What I would like to ask is why does beard hair seem to take so well yet other body hair seems so difficult to get working?

Also being of Mediteranean origins I tan really well so I guess I would be left with multiple white dots?

Many thanks

Hi Pip,

From what I have seen, in many cases there isn't white dotting from beard fue. That is assuming you go to the right doc who is using the appropriate punch size. I've seen a patient who had 1400 beared fue and I could not see any sigs of it. I'm not sure why beard hair takes better than other body hair but I have heard the same thing.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hi Levrais,

Many thanks for your reply.

Anyone in the industry that can shed any more light on this question of beard hair over other BH ?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Pip,

The bumps you're describing in the recipient area sound like "cobblestoning." Normally, it occurs during hair transplant surgery when graft incisions aren't made deeply enough, excessively large grafts are placed in incisions, or if the graft simply doesn't sit right in the incision site. I'm not 100% certain I would call it hypertrophic scarring, but it's not desired or the norm, for sure.

Beard hair can be a useful alternative for patients with depleted donor supply. Beard hairs are preferred above other types of non-scalp grafts because of their thicker caliber and hair cycles most similar to scalp hair. Having said that, scalp hair from the universal donor region is still preferred.

Have you had any consultations with trusted hair restoration physicians to ensure you aren't a candidate for traditional hair transplant surgery? If you are really investigating a beard hair transplant procedure, I highly recommend Dr. Umar. He's the authority on body hair transplantation.

I hope this helps. Sorry for any delay in reply. Please, feel free to ask any additional questions or send me a private message with further concerns.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Blake,

Really appreciate your reply Sir. Yups cobblestoning is a good description !

Rather disappointing it happened to be honest, considering I went to the top UK surgeon.

Yes I have been considering Dr Umar for a fix.

My probem is I dont have much donor hair left, possibly enough for a small FUE op, hence looking at beard/ body hair.

The other is that I live in the UK, and Im REALLY shy and self conscious and my biggest concern is actually the flight back with a half shaved head full of FUE donor scars !

I can hide the recipient area but cant see how I could hide the low donor area....

I do have time on my hands so I guess I could simply camp in the hotel a couple of weeks !