Minoxidil shedding questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions about Minoxidil shedding. I know that this has been a subject matter of quite a few discussions on this forum. However, I couldn't find answers to the specific questions that I have. My apologies if this post is a repetation, but I am going completely paranoid (I am sure many of you empathise with that mental state). I would really appreciate your comments based on your personal experience and expertise.

I am 28. I have been losing a few strands of hair here and there for the past couple of years. However, it aggrevated in the past six months or so, with visible thing of hair on the crown. I consulted a physician and a dermatologist. My reports about anaemia, thyroid function and blood sugar levels are normal. I was informed that I am suffering from genetic male pattern baldness.

I have been prescribed the following:

1. Minoxidil 10% - 1 ml/ twice a day

2. Nizoral 1% - twice a week

3. Saw palmetto supplements

4. Arnica tablets

5. Multivitamin supplements.

In view of the long term side effects, I was specifically advised against Fin.

So far so good, but here comes the problem:

It's been a month of the above treatment and I am shedding like crazy. I used to loose about 100+ hair normally. I am now losing about 300 hair everyday (almost from day 1 of my treatment) I loose hair without any provocation, like combing etc. I see hair everywhere. Pillow, comb, work desk or just spread around my shirt. I loose 100+ hair only during washing (this makes me extremely vary about washing my hair). The hair loss is not restricted to small, weak hair but to normal longish hair that I generally keep. The hairline has receded dramatically with the baldness on the crown being extremely visible. Plus after applying Minoxidil I have itchy scalp and my hair becomes hard. I am told that the shedding is a reaction to Minoxidil.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is shedding of 300 hairs with the use of Minoxidil acceptable?

2. Is it usual to shed normal hair after using Minoxidil, as opposed to only small, weak hair?

3. Will the hair that has been shed grow back as before, i.e. as long and thick as they previously were or the best case scenario is that the regrown hair will be small, thin and weak?

4. How long does the shedding phase last (please don't say 14 weeks)?

5. I use Minoxidil only on the top of my head and hairline, but shed hair on the back too. Is it normal?

Thanks a lot.

Apologies for the length of the post. But I am really worried and discussing this with anyone in person can be embarrassing.

Cheers.