Pre-surgery answers

Hi I recently set an appointment with True and Dorin. Some photos appear that the front area is shaved prior to work. Others show the transplants being done around the existing hair. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. If so, could they avoid, getting the front area shaved? Obviously that would greatly increase the recovery time.

Hey Mate;

I work with another surgeon; but I can tell you without shaving the recipient area, the team cannot hygienically perform the surgery not be able to make the appropriate site incisions and finally be able to see to appropriately place grafts. Hope this helps and all the best on your journey to a new you. Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks. However, I have seen a number of post op photos (in fact the majority from what I've seen) where they were not shaved down.

Ive wondered about this myself. I've seen both as well, dr feller shaved my recipient and it certainly made me look very strange. However I was told that its difficult to do a dense pack without shaving? If I did not have to shave recipient it would have certainly made recovery easier as I probably could have not worn a hat all the time for the first 3 months but if I get a better end result than its certainly worth it IMO...

There's no denying it, recipient shaving is part of the procedure that can be off-putting to some patients. Most doctors seem to agree that it's for the best and I think it's essential if the plan is to restore the area to a high density.

If some doctors display photos where some patients were shaved and others weren't then it's probably the case that those who weren't shaved had lower density placement.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I am receiving only about 1000 - 1250 grafts. So it should be pretty low density. I confirmed already with Dr True that he will NOT be shaving the front recipient area. That would take months of recovery, and I just don't have that.

Thanks.