started loosing transplanted hair after 4 days of surgery by Dr Madhu

Hi all,

I did my hair transplant from Dr Pathuri Madhu on 19th May and I was advised to start shampooing and oiling from 21st may.But from 23rd may I started seeing that some of the transplanted hair were missing,everyday i can see in the mirror that i m loosing transplanted hair one by one mainly in the hairline area.I am very much worried if I am loosing my hair grafts.I am very gentle in washing and oiling and never saw any kind of bleeding or oozing from the scalp.I read on net that transplanted hair shedding starts from 2nd week post-op.

Please advise.I really need suggestion from all of you guys as i m really upset :(

Hair can start shedding days after the procedure. Some doctors have safer post-op protocols that prohibit traditional shower custom for a week or two. If you are following your doctor's post-op instructions to their fullest extent you should be totally fine, the hair will grow back. Unless you see the actual follicle come out, what you are experiencing is totally normal.

I was told that if i loose a graft then i will bleed..but i never bleed and there was no pain at any time.I was told that the germinal material is inside the skin and it is fixed there in 72 hours of surgery.Still when I went through various websites,I saw different different things and i m totally confused.

Akash202,

As Mickey stated, it's perfectly normal for the transplanted follicles to shed after surgery. This normally happens over the course of the first two weeks but everyone is different. I would not worry about it.

As long as you have not seen any bleeding or found any lost follicles with dried up tissue at the base then you should be just fine.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I assume one needs to be very careful with the transplanted hair for the first 15days.

First HT with Dr. Radha Rani on 04/26/2012

Single - 514

Doubles - 2130

Triples- 230

Total Grafts = 2874

Total Hair = 5464

Rockstar,

It's generally held that the follicular unit grafts are safely anchored and protected below the scalp after the first 10 days. But, it's always best to err on the side of caution. Continue to baby the scalp for at least two weeks.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

So does this all mean i have lost the grafts.Is loosing of grafts is not accompanied by bleeding or pain(I did not have any of them)??I am using baby shampoo and using a mug for washing hair...I went for a follow up to Dr madhu's clinic but an assistant doctor told me that it takes 72 hours for grafts to settle..and advised me after looking my scalp that my grafts are intact.I wonder how can someone tell by naked eyes...!!!!

Well i loose them mostly while washing hair so i could not see them if they contain any tissue with them...but some of the hairs i managed to see while oiling,they were simple hairs with no tissue at the end...

Akash,

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. You are most likely just shedding the follicles. This is normal and expected. Try to relax and give it time.

Can you suggest me some medicines to avoid the loss of my native hair apart from finesteride as i have heard that it can cause permanent sexual dysfunction...i have some thinning in my crown area and hair is getting less dense.i want to delay my second HT or completely avoid it.