General questions about surgery -price-drugs-methods

Hi everybody,

I am new on this forum and I have plenty of questions. I read everywhere and they surely are partially answered in other topics, but I would like to have an general overview of you experiences.

First, I almost never see the global price you paid for your surgery. I also realize that some doctors have a really good reputation and to be honest I think it’s important...but at what price?

My situation? I’m 31 and have basic androg. Alopecy. Most affected zones are:

Zone 1: temples

Zone 2: hair line zone

Zone 3: Central core

Zone 4: the bridge.

? I’ll post my picture tomorrow (i’ve got no camera with me here)

I am in Belgium and read so many good reviews for Dr Feriduni, so I asked him about my case and here are his propositions:

1st solution: 3500-4000 UF. Technic: FUT, total costs: +- 10.000Eur

2nd solution: 3000 UF. Technic: FUE, total costs: 11500Eur (in two days) followed by a second intervention 1 year later: 1000 UF (still FUE) : 5500Eur

I never thought it was so expensive :(

So I guess my questions to you are:

- Did you go to a “famous” doctor who had tons of positive reviews. In any case, who was your doctor and where?

- How much did you pay and for how many UF and which technic?

- Were you taking propescia, dutasteride or other drugs before (and after the operation)? ( a while ago, I already refused to take propescia because of the possible side effects... :mad:)

- Did you or do you have another special (natural) treatment to take care of the “old” hair? I mean: you do the transplant and after loses the old ones and you are back to where you were: half of the hair you want to have (which is why I prefer the FUE...) :S

- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the success of your surgery? Any regrets (1 - 5 -10 years later) ?

- Last question: does any of you experienced side effects with a moto helmet? Fact is: I started 3 years ago and cavity started 2 year and a half age :S Doctors (dermatologist) assured me that it wasn’t the reason of my shade off. Ok maybe not the main reason, but i don’t think it helps when you have alopecy predispositions.

-

Thanks a lot for your input!!! I really need advices to take this big decision (basically all my savings will be used :S )

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Alcapon16

Alcapon16,

I'll be happy to share my experience...

- Did you go to a “famous” doctor who had tons of positive reviews. In any case, who was your doctor and where?

I went to Dr. Alexander. He is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians and highly regarded. He also happened to be in my backyard and reasonably priced.

- How much did you pay and for how many UF and which technic?

I paid an average of $4 per graft. Many docs work on a sliding scale where grafts get cheaper beyond a set number.

- Were you taking propescia, dutasteride or other drugs before (and after the operation)? ( a while ago, I already refused to take propescia because of the possible side effects... :mad:)

I started finasteride and minoxidil after my surgery. I quit finasteride about 5 months ago. I explain why here.

- Did you or do you have another special (natural) treatment to take care of the “old” hair? I mean: you do the transplant and after loses the old ones and you are back to where you were: half of the hair you want to have (which is why I prefer the FUE...) :S

I now use only Rogaine Foam and Nizoral.

- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the success of your surgery? Any regrets (1 - 5

My only regret is that I waited so long. I love having hair again. It's not perfect. I'd like to have one more procedure but I no longer spend hours a day lamenting the loss of my hair. I'd say I got a 8 out of 10.

Hair transplant surgery is not cheap and one should not choose their doc based primarily on cost. Dr. Feriduni is world-class and regularly produces very impressive results.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website