Don't Stop Washing - Really, DONT!!

Hi there,

I just wanted to share a recent experience. Please don't judge me, as this may make me appear to be a fool!

I suppose you've all heard the idea that after a certain time your hair will wash itself? Well i've always been intrigued but too self conscious to go through the first stages of dirty greasy hair. I've been working in the middle east for the last 6 months without any real inclusion in any society to speak of so it was the perfect chance.

Bear in mind I've been using Finasteride for the last 6 years, after some serious balding back in 2005.

So in November 2011 I started my experiment and stopped using shampoo, only using water and a comb in the shower. It actually worked quite well, my hair looked better, if a bit tough at times. After a while I realised it had reached a peak so I washed again in February 2012.

Then, the middle of March, despite my normal regimen of 1.25mg of finasteride a day I noticed some thinning at the temple, and over the last couple of weeks, more thinning on the top of my head. I assumed the meds were wearing off, as I've heard they do after 5 or so years, but I've just made a connection between the not washing. I've read that greasy hair and scalp leads to more DHT. Why didnt I research this before I stopped washing my hair!!??

Well, needless to say I've started washing it everyday now, and am using Neutrogena T Gel, and upped the finasteride dosage, so I'm hoping I can reverse what I think I started.

Just saying what you folks who use this site regularly probably already know -wash your barnet regularly!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...