Delayed or no growth possible in multiple hair transplants

We all know that blood supply is critical to graft survival. But the questions still unanswered are what parameters are needed in the hair transplant surgery to insure that this supply is adequate? I read that a common rate for graft survival is in the 90-95% range. I wonder how much that may decrease with each successive procedure, hence, the cause for my concern.

I read further that as the number of hair grafts placed per unit area (density) rises, so does the risk of vascular compromise (decreased blood flow to the area caused by injury to the scalp) and this may result in sub-optimal graft growth. So, what is ultimately critical for the patient is not how many grafts were transplanted, but how many actually grow. Poor or retarded growth is not an all-or-none phenomena and sub-optimal growth is literally impossible to detect. If too many grafts are done at one time, some feel the hair growth is reduced due to crowding of the grafts and lower blood supply.

Does anyone know of any research that shows that blood flow to the grafts could be compromised or growth delayed with multiple procedures as compared to the first procedure? Can multiple procedures really outstrip the blood supply necessary to insure maximum growth?

Did those of you with multiple procedures see any stubble of erupting hair coming in between your hairs after 3-4 mos.? For example, Bill, the Managing Publisher, has had 4 procedures.

The reason I ask is that I don't recall seeing a stubble on my 2nd procedure and am concerned as whether I will see any for my 3rd. It was easy to see on my first procedure; the surgical advantages of transplanting into virgin scalp being the original blood supply is intact.

You can see my results and procedure stats here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164911-cant-find-incisions-grafts.html

I see this subject has been touched on before:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158395-growth-time-slow-growth.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158428-multiple-procedures-poor-growth.html

I can honestly say I have not seen this "delay" in my progressive procedures. Actually , I just had my last (FUE) and at 2 plus months there is a distinct improvement. I kept many of the grafts and the crown area is now lacking that "shininess."

Ironically it is also suggested the crown takes longer to grow than other areas. This too has not been the case with me.

That said, I exercise regularly, eat very healthy and take vitamins everyday.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I can honestly say I have not seen this "delay" in my progressive procedures. Actually , I just had my last (FUE) and at 2 plus months there is a distinct improvement. I kept many of the grafts and the crown area is now lacking that "shininess."

Ironically it is also suggested the crown takes longer to grow than other areas. This too has not been the case with me.

That said, I exercise regularly, eat very healthy and take vitamins everyday.

The difference is that you've had a series of small sessions, whereas mine were all megasessions with dense packing. I trust my doc all the way through, but it's still a concern. I, too, exercise regularly, eat clean, and take a ton of supps, but you never know with so many grafts whether there will be enough blood supply intact to supply multiple procedures in addition to native hairs. That's my concern.

• 2 weeks later...