FUE after FUT

Hi all,

I've been on these forums for a long time, only recently have I started to post more as I have planned an FUE surgery for the end of next month.

I had a very small FUT surgery 7 years ago with Norton Clinic in the UK. Having seen some of their horror stories, I feel quite lucky that I managed to escape with a reasonable result. Due to my light hair, the hair line doesn't look pluggy, and the misplaced or mis-angled grafts don't show too much. My scar is also not very long and very thin, which again I think I was very fortunate with.

I chose FUE over FUT because I do not want to go down the FUT route again, for several reasons:

1 - I want to leave the option to FUE into the FUT scar at a later date to wear my hair shorter again, perhaps if I lose more hair in the future.

2 - I don't want to have an ear-to-ear scar (my current one is small and I don't want it to risk making it any worse)

3 - Over the past 7 years I have been able to very occasionally feel the strip scar tugging and it's an uncomfortable feeling.

4 - Psychologically, even through my first strip was fine at the time, and I had no issues with the actual surgery, FUE seems more appealing.

5 - Recovery time with strip seems to be longer

6 - I have no issues with being out of the 'public eye' for weeks or months, so I can shave my head.

My main question is, do you all think this is a good approach? Dr Feriduni mentioned to me that a prior strip surgery can alter the angle of the hairs and that if I had another FUT that FUE would become harder as a result. Does this potentially mean that the small FUT I've already had may reduce my yield with FUE? Obviously I've discussed this with the doctors I consulted with, but I wanted to get feedback on here. Have any of you had FUE after FUT, and can you share your thoughts on this?

Cheers all.

I went to Norton as well England.

They should not be in business and shut down permanently.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks Spex and ChrisDav.

Spex - both doctors I had face-to-face consultations with (Bisanga and Feriduni) recommended 2300-2400 grafts, over 2 days (both asked about my preference with FUT and FUE - I think it's fair to say both were slightly leaning towards FUT). The recipient area will be the hairline (adding density, filling in gaps), temples (same) and behind the hairline (where I receded after the first op). The end goal is to achieve a high density front third (zones 1, 2 & 3).

Donor density was measured as 60/70/70 by Bisanga, and 80/96 by Feriduni - both estimated roughly 6,000 grafts available in total, leaving me enough to cover more of the top in future but not enough to do the crown.

The yield of FUE and the ongoing debate over how much less it is than strip is what is causing me to hesitate. Obviously I want to maximise yield but I'm prepared to take a 5% hit if it means not having a longer scar. I can see the logic that since I already have a strip scar, strip makes sense for me - but I'm just very uncomfortable with that idea at the moment.

@chrisdav, yes indeed - they actually created an uneven hairline, went lower to one side (where a normal hairline would go higher) and ran out of grafts when they reached the right temple - leaving me a gap! I think I got lucky but agree they shouldn't be in operation still.

Hi Spex, the 5% was more of a figure I'd probably be happy to concede - not necessarily something I've had in writing or can evidence.

I know Dr Feriduni mentioned typical yield of 1.8 to 2.2 hairs per graft for FUE and 2.1 for FUT. I've seen a few numbers banded about on this forum saying 90% vs 95% (in the hands of a top surgeon, if it goes well etc.) - if you believe FUE is more than 5% worse on average, please tell me - I'd like to get it in writing too!

I know that with strip or FUE no surgeon can ever commit to a certain yield because there are too many unknowns - I guess I'd just like to know what a realistic reduction in yield is from FUT to FUE, for an average patient. That way I can choose which one is best for me.

I've not had any test patches for FUE done, no.

Cheers

100% agreement with spex. Also how advanced is your balding pattern? How old are you? Based on some of info Ive read, I think FUE has its place by way of smallish sessions but once there's a need for something like 2500 grafts plus then you're risk taking grafts from the fringes of the safe permanent zone and beyond. FUE is not as efficient as FUT at harvesting grafts.