Density question

So I have been looking for this (and I am sure the answer is somewhere around here), but I thought I would just ask the questions:

When doing the math for density I keep seeing grafts per cm2. But can't graphs come in 1's, 2's. 3's, 4's and even mutant 5's? So 40 graftss of 1's aren't going to give you the coverage that 40 graphs of 3's and 4's are...correct?

If this is true then why don't the say hairs per cm2 instead of grafts?

I just keep seeing "you need 30-40 grafts per cm2 to get coverage" and that statement (based on what I have written above) seems weird.

Or am I just off?

Doctors will usually keep tally of how many actual hairs were transplanted by counting how many singles, doubles, etc there were. For the results posted to the forums, this info will be included - and if any patient wants to know then they can ask.

A surgeon can recommend X number of grafts and aim to achieve that number (or precisely match it if the procedure is FUE), but he/she can't be so certain exactly how many hairs those grafts will provide (even if there is a rough average of around 2.3 hairs per graft), so it's much easier to speak in terms of grafts or follicular units. I think it's a term even people new to the subject quickly grasp the meaning of.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

When they quote 40 grafts per cm2 that is taking into account the 2 hairs per graft average. If someone has more 1's then they would need more grafts per cm2. If they have lots of 3's and 4's then they may get by with less grafts.

Number of grafts can be misleading. Number of hairs and their caliber is what shows in a final result.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D