Recipient Area Shock Loss

I've been reading a bit on shock loss in the recipient area as I believe that I am experiencing that now.

I am now 6 weeks post op and I feel like my hair density from the mid third to the crown has lessened significantly, almost as though 50-70% of the native hairs have fallen out, or become thing. I say feel since I am aware that I might be remembering my hair as better than it was, or there may be some other factor/illusion in play rather than just density and thickness.

I am not surprised to experience shock loss as I believe this is quite common. However, it seems to be difficult to find any pictures of others who's native hair has thinned as much as I believe mine has.

I have a few questions regarding shockloss in the recipient area:

- What does it look like? Mine appears to be diffuse and not concentrated in any one area. I have seen some people describe theirs as patches, which mine definitely isn't. (I do have shockloss around the scar which is a patch however).

- I have read that this can sometimes be permanent, where the lost hair is very weak to begin with. I was taking finasteride, minodoxil and vitamins before the procedure and I know the hair wasn't great but I didn't think it was terrible - how/when will I know whether this is permanent shockloss?

- Best case scenario, when could I expect the native hair to start growing back?

Thanks

Your hair loss sounds like common shock loss and I know that can be very stressful but it's very early on so don't worry. Typically shocked hairs begin to return around 3-4 months just like the transplanted hairs. I would suggest dermatch or toppik to help conceal thinning areas if it really bothers you.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians