27 year old looking into HT, FUE preferred

Long time lurker here, but I think I could be in a financial position in the upcoming year to possibly look into getting a HT. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and maybe some suggestions of a good doctor? I'm out of Salt Lake City so I'm kind of assuming maybe a travel to LA or something would be the most efficient? I have been initially thinking a FUE mostly for the quicker heal time. I can't take off a ton of time at my job so I'd really need something to heal quicker. I've attached a few photos below showing the extent. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

5b32d11b1d343_photo(1).JPG.4e9bb8983d575e5b1e331b8f7b76ba54.JPG

5b32d11b65b8d_photo(3).JPG.1ea7271688f93cfe60660753814054da.JPG

5b32d11b7b4f4_photo(4).JPG.c49debfec654d83b3e0a8890dce97434.JPG

Welcome pace. Take your time and do your research, this forum is a very good place to start and to gain knowledge. You can scan through 1000's of posts on the subjects that are important to you. You'll find that there are some differences bewteen FUT and FUE in terms of yield, price, time etc...

The FUT scars that docs are able to provide now-a-days shouldn't have you out of work for long as hair as short as around 1" or less can provide coverage easily. If you want to shave your head at some point then by FUE is the way to go, if not consider FUT.

Good luck!

If you are looking at FUE in L.A., perhaps you can look into Dr. Umar.

What he said. You couldn't be in better hands.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 2 weeks later...
Long time lurker here, but I think I could be in a financial position in the upcoming year to possibly look into getting a HT. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and maybe some suggestions of a good doctor? I'm out of Salt Lake City so I'm kind of assuming maybe a travel to LA or something would be the most efficient? I have been initially thinking a FUE mostly for the quicker heal time. I can't take off a ton of time at my job so I'd really need something to heal quicker. I've attached a few photos below showing the extent. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Pace,

Yes, I have had FUE with Dr. Umar. So as far as FUE healing, I can only speak in terms of this doctor. Since Dr. Umar uses special custom made small caliber extraction tools, the extraction holes in the donor area healed/closed up the night I had my surgery. I had very little scabbing, and everything in that area looked flawless within three days.

As far as the recipient area. You will have some pinkness and scabbing in that area. The goal is to have the scabbing come off gradually within 10 days so the new grafts can breathe properly. You will be given instructions on how to wash and care for your hair during this period. The first three days, you just pour lukewarm water over your hair with a little baby shampoo. Later, as the grafts become affixed, you work up to the point where you want to wash your hair in the shower and gently rub off the scabbing without using your fingernails.

since you have straight hair, I would grow it out longer to disguise the recipient area and you should be fine. As far as the donor area, the doc will only shave a section for extractions, then your could comb your longer hair over the area. I would say would be fine to return to work within two weeks, maybe sooner. Your type of hair should be good for covering up the HT work while it heals and grows.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Atticus :)

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Hi Atticus,

Sorry to hijack this thread pace31, but hopefully this will be useful: Atticus, can you comment on how Dr. Umar inserts the graphs? I have an appt with him in May but am getting a bit worried about doing it, even though this would be my 4th surgery. Does he use the lateral slit method?

Hi Atticus,

Sorry to hijack this thread pace31, but hopefully this will be useful: Atticus, can you comment on how Dr. Umar inserts the graphs? I have an appt with him in May but am getting a bit worried about doing it, even though this would be my 4th surgery. Does he use the lateral slit method?

Hi mediaface,

Yes, I believe he does use the lateral slit method, but you should ask him to make sure. In my case, the slits for the implanted grafts matched the existing hair angles perfectly. If you have any concerns, shoot him an email. He is very good at answering questions or concerns.

Have a good one!

Atticus