Thinning at Crown

Most hair loss procedures I have seen have focused on the front, is it a case of HT on the crown isnt very good?

Can someone explain why? I want to get HT done on my crown, the front of my hair doesnt bother me.

gstar...you are correct the frontal region gets the most attention and focus from the doctors. Most good hair transplant doctors are concerned about donor supply. A crown can eat of lots of donor hair. And a balding crown can continue to grow even after a transplant leaving a donut effect. So usually the surgeons try to "frame the face" with hair at the front because that is where most people look at you and notice. Of course age, donor supply, level of of over-all hair-loss all play a factor in the game-plan. But there are doctors doing great crown work, in fact that is one reason I may go see Dr. Wong of Hasson & Wong. Just from what I've seen he seems to be very skilled at crown work and I am sure there are others.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

gstar....well it all depends on your particular hair-loss.

Make an appointment with on one of the best surgeons and get a consult.

A good HT doctor can educate you on your options.

Some guys just seem to lose hair at the crown, so they can eat up much of their donor hair and not have to worry as much about having to balance the donor hair between front and back.

Age plays a big factor. If you are in your 20s-30's a doctor is usually more conservative with donor hair because you have a finite amount and since the doctor cant be sure what type of hairloss you will have 10, 15, 20 years down the road...they want to save some donor hair for future needs.

Here is a video about crown transplants, but be advised this is not really about donor supply and the crown, which you should discuss during a future consult with your HT doctor.

Edited by Shampoo

gstar, not sure where you are, but the link below is a wonderful resource in learning about hair transplantation as well as finding a great HT surgeon. I know I will just end up at one doctor, but I am trying to watch each and every video because each doctor brings something different to the table in the way of education for us the patients. Watch them when you have time. Patient education is vital to have a happy result.

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

gstar....one other thing to consider is getting on Propecia (Finasteride) as soon as possible.

I was on Propecia in my thirties and didn't see much new growth so I stopped taking it. But what I didnt realize is even if you dont see a lot of new growth it allows you to at least hold on to what ya got. So after being off it for a few years I then noticed my crown was in trouble. I am back on it now every day, but I wish I had not stopped taking it, because I would probably not have lost nearly as much of my crown. I suggest getting on it and staying on it to greatly slow any new loss and hold on to as much as you can.