Nizoral, where and is it all anti dandruff?

Hi all,

I currently buy my boyfriend Nioxin 4 noticeably thinning chemically treated hair shampoo & conditioner as his hair dresser said part of his hair loss is because his hair is damaged.

He's been using it for a few months now and i think I want to switch to something better. I see Nizoral mentioned all over this place so I have a couple questions.

1 Everytime I google it, its anti-dandruff shampoo. Is that what it is? Is there a non anti-dandruff Nizoral?

2, I tried to read a thread of where to buy it and all the links were removed... and I see its out of stock in the store here. Soo, I'm googling it but all I'm finding is 1% dandruff shampoo. If links aren't allowed can someone please describe to me how to google a website to find it?

3 I do live around walmart, walgreens but all I see on their sites are 1% dandruff shampoos. Is this good enough?

4 What conditioner do you use with it?

5 And i assume its safe to use with minoxidil? (he uses a walmart generic)

6 I know its reccommended to use another shampoo with it so we might keep doing Nioxin in between the days he does Nizoral, but I wanted to check if this is OK. And also if its OK to use Nioxin conditioner with Nizoral.

Thanks!!

Natalie,

Nizoral is primarily a dandruff shampoo. However, its active ingredient ketoconazole has been shown to work as a mild DHT blocker. While it's probably not a very effective hair loss treatment on its own, it is often used in combination with Rogaine (minoxidil) and/or Propecia (finasteride). Together these products are known as the "Big Three".

Nizoral comes in both a 1% and 2% strength. The 1% variety is available over the counter while the 2% concentration requires a prescription. There is some disagreement as to whether the 1% is strong enough to act on DHT.

For the past year, Nizoral has been difficult to get due to a manufacturing shortage. However, you can normally find it on eBay at inflated prices. Recently, drugstore.com has also been listing at as in stock.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Great thanks for the info! Maybe we will hold off unless he sees a doctor and gets a prescription? Ebay sounds shady, I've heard of people repackaging things like perfume and liquids into more expensive containers and it might not be what you think you're buying!

But thanks, I understand nizoral better now.