Female hair loss question for a friend....

I have a friend who is experiencing hair loss for a number of years which may be a side effect of medication she has been taking. She has scheduled an appointment to have possible hair extensions at a clinic in Toronto that services those suffering hair loss as result of chimotherapy treatments and or have fragile hair. Just wondering if anyone is aware of a more permanent solutions or has anyone else experienced this problem. My partner has recently undergone his own hair transplantation and has had some success and thought that others may have some helpful advice.

Thanks

Pam

I have a friend who is experiencing hair loss for a number of years which may be a side effect of medication she has been taking. She has scheduled an appointment to have possible hair extensions at a clinic in Toronto that services those suffering hair loss as result of chimotherapy treatments and or have fragile hair. Just wondering if anyone is aware of a more permanent solutions or has anyone else experienced this problem. My partner has recently undergone his own hair transplantation and has had some success and thought that others may have some helpful advice.

Thanks

Pam

Pam,

In my opinion, before considering any "solutions", you really need to tell your friend to consult a dermatologist to find the "problem".

Female hair loss in particular can be caused by a number of things. If it's a medication she's taking, perhaps the doctor prescribing it can put her on something else that doesn't include hair loss as a possible side effect.

Your friend should be tested for medical conditions such as a thyroid disorder, low ferritin level, an iron deficiency, hormonal issues, etc. She should have her scalp, medical history, and medical present examined to pinpoint the cause of her hair loss.

Many non-genetic hair loss conditions can be cured by treating the condition causing it. There is no cure for androgenetic alopecia (genetic female or male pattern baldness) however, treatment options like Rogaine (minoxidil) may be helpful.

I hope this helps.

Bill