Can the extent of hair loss be predicted?

Is it possible to determine/predict an individual's potential hair loss with any degree of certainty? Does hair loss eventually "stabilize" or reach a stopping point?

I'm 41, Norwood 5A, and just had my first HT one month ago (1,650 grafts). I'm considering another HT to increase density.

My concern is whether or not my hair loss has the potential of going from Norwood 5A to Norwood 7. (I'm assuming/hoping that I'm not since my HT doc didn't raise that scenario).

The answer to this question will help me determine the viability of a second HT. If the Propecia, MSM, shampoos, etc. (which I've recently begun using) all do the trick and keep the hair loss from progressing, then I'd probably do one of the more aggressive, megasession HTs. If not, then . . .

Any guidance that you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you.

Is it possible to determine/predict an individual's potential hair loss with any degree of certainty? Does hair loss eventually "stabilize" or reach a stopping point?

I'm 41, Norwood 5A, and just had my first HT one month ago (1,650 grafts). I'm considering another HT to increase density.

My concern is whether or not my hair loss has the potential of going from Norwood 5A to Norwood 7. (I'm assuming/hoping that I'm not since my HT doc didn't raise that scenario).

The answer to this question will help me determine the viability of a second HT. If the Propecia, MSM, shampoos, etc. (which I've recently begun using) all do the trick and keep the hair loss from progressing, then I'd probably do one of the more aggressive, megasession HTs. If not, then . . .

Any guidance that you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you.

Follicular,

Mostly what you have to look at is family history and rate of thinning. Look at brothers, uncles, your father, grandfather, etc. Where did they end up?

Also, what was your thinning pattern a year ago? Five years ago? Did your thinning/recession come on very quick and then slow or has it been a steady progression up to this point. Your best bet would be to run all of this past your HT physician. With the information that you supply him/her and their personal observations, they should be able to tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty of where you may be. If you were younger (say, 30) it would be much harder.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog