GRATEFUL FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!

Afternoon All,

Firstly, great forum. Can't imagine how much tougher it would be if i was living this experience in the 70's/80's (pre the web!). This site has definitely kept me in good spirits so thanks a million.

Okay, to my story! I'm 26, from the UK and have NW3+ frontal hair loss and am looking for some assistance please?

I was about 18 when i noticed that my hairline was maturing/pulling back. From there, it seemed that everything hair related started going wrong! Grey hairs started to develop and by the time i was about 22 I had grey back/sides and a mini grey explosion on top! That coupled with the hair loss forced a response. Since this period I have been dying my hair (albeit the grey part now goes blond!), have tried different 'hair loss' shampoo's and have been on finpecia for maybe the past 10 months or so.

My hair loss has unfortunately always affected me and i feel that it's now time to seriously consider a HT (I need the hairline straighted & temples restored etc).

I've made an appointment to see Dr Farjo but am also considering other surgeons too (my sister's ex had a very successful op with Dr Fellar so he's definitely a consideration).

My biggest concern is the return to work element! I have never had a shaved head and simply cannot imagine a) what it would like and b) the response from colleagues/clients (apologies for not being so brave as many of you!).

Chaps/you that cannot wear caps when you return to work, how did you manage!? I work in the accountacy sector and due to the nature of my work would struggle to take any more than 3 weeks off.

If i do go abroad, i'm also trying to work out the whole stay thing. Do most of you Brits take a 1 week+ break (in that country) or fly back after a day or two?

Many thanks to you all for your assistance!

Bash77

P.S. Apologies for the rubbish photo - had to keep cropping it as the size was bigger than limit...

HT2.thumb.jpg.82a98ac96483f822665cc75def6bdd18.jpg

Afternoon All,

Firstly, great forum. Can't imagine how much tougher it would be if i was living this experience in the 70's/80's (pre the web!). This site has definitely kept me in good spirits so thanks a million.

Okay, to my story! I'm 26, from the UK and have NW3+ frontal hair loss and am looking for some assistance please?

I was about 18 when i noticed that my hairline was maturing/pulling back. From there, it seemed that everything hair related started going wrong! Grey hairs started to develop and by the time i was about 22 I had grey back/sides and a mini grey explosion on top! That coupled with the hair loss forced a response. Since this period I have been dying my hair (albeit the grey part now goes blond!), have tried different 'hair loss' shampoo's and have been on finpecia for maybe the past 10 months or so.

My hair loss has unfortunately always affected me and i feel that it's now time to seriously consider a HT (I need the hairline straighted & temples restored etc).

I've made an appointment to see Dr Farjo but am also considering other surgeons too (my sister's ex had a very successful op with Dr Fellar so he's definitely a consideration).

My biggest concern is the return to work element! I have never had a shaved head and simply cannot imagine a) what it would like and b) the response from colleagues/clients (apologies for not being so brave as many of you!).

Chaps/you that cannot wear caps when you return to work, how did you manage!? I work in the accountacy sector and due to the nature of my work would struggle to take any more than 3 weeks off.

If i do go abroad, i'm also trying to work out the whole stay thing. Do most of you Brits take a 1 week+ break (in that country) or fly back after a day or two?

Many thanks to you all for your assistance!

Bash77

P.S. Apologies for the rubbish photo - had to keep cropping it as the size was bigger than limit...

Hi bash,

I'm from the UK and I had a HT with Dr. Rahal and I am thrilled with the result. See my blog for the details and pics.

Dr. Rahal recommends overseas patients to stay in Ottawa for 5 days after the op. Just in case there are any complications and for the grafts to be set in place.

I flew out on a Sunday, had the pre op consultation Monday, surgery Tuesday and flew home the following Sunday. I know this adds to the cost a bit with Hotels, Food, etc, but I wasn't willing to risk it just to save a few quid. Afterall, I'd just spent a few thousand.

IMO, I think it's good to have the pre op consultation the day before. You can then go back to the Hotel and think about what was discussed and you can also read the consent forms properly.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just ask.

Spex, thanks for being the first to respond! Yes, I'll certainly send some more photos in due course and I'll encourage my friend to make contact. Quick question If I may. When UK patients return home (for those that fly back almost immediately/before 10 days) where do they go to get the stapes out? In the case of my friend, my sister took them out!?

King Crown ??“ many thanks indeed for your comments also. You must be very pleased with your results.Did you consider having a ht in the UK at all - i.e. Dr Farjo?

LL ??“ how's things progressing with your ht and did anyone in the work place ever notice?

Cheers chaps!

Hey Bash77,

I have just looked at your photo and you seem to have a lot of small hairs in the balding area's, the right temple looks covered. Have you tried Rogaine to kick start these hairs?

Your hair looks really thick behind the balding areas, I see no reason to go too far back into your existing hair, maybe Dr. Feller won't insist on shaving it? also, you could select a top doctor that doesn't shave. (not all do)

I had sutures, the tension sutures - I had my gp remove here in the uk, I'm sure they would do the same for staples. (I was offered a kit to remove them but personally I didn't want a firend/family member or me with a mirror digging around at the scar)

Spex, that's very helpful - thanks for clarifying the procedure. When are you in London again?

Maxxy, Thanks for your contribution here. I haven't actually started using Rogaine yet (i do have the foam indoors though) but am not sure how good it really is!? I got a bit scarred when i saw some of the comments re 'shedding'! Any idea how the traditional type compares to the foam? Does either help the frontal regions or is it really geared up for the top/crown?

Re shaving, i'm really hoping i don't have to!

Bash,

Some people have had great success with Rogaine in the front, the way I see it is, it can only help? If it doesn't work you have wasted a liitle time applying it and ??30 (for a 3 months supply) but you are no worse off.

It may be worth a try? You will be waiting at least 3 month to get into a top clinic anyway.

The Foam is by far quicker, cleaner and easier to apply, but sadly, I am also one of those that suffered a massive shed. (it all grew back after stopping)

Originally posted by bash77:

Did you consider having a ht in the UK at all - i.e. Dr Farjo?

Hi bash,

I did research Surgeons in the UK but at the time there wasn't much info and pics online. And there was lots of positive info and pics about Dr. Rahal.

Dr. Rahal uses sutures and I just went to my GP for them to be taken out.