Post op cleaning question

Hi Folks,

I'm about a month out from a transplant (1800 front third) with a clinic in Florida. Their post op instructions are pretty conservative and I did not start massaging the recipient area to break up the scabs until several weeks out. I know there is a lot of different instructions for each doctor out there.

I have a lot of white scabs (fairly sticky) that are still coming off, although progress is good. My only concern is that I came across this post from someone who noted that scabs left on too long can "suffocate" and kill the grafts underneath if left on too long:

http://www.articlesbase.com/hair-loss-articles/problem-with-scabs-after-surgical-hair-transplants-im-suffocating-i-cant-breathe-2747803.html

Any thoughts on this?

Hi Folks,

I'm about a month out from a transplant (1800 front third) with a clinic in Florida. Their post op instructions are pretty conservative and I did not start massaging the recipient area to break up the scabs until several weeks out. I know there is a lot of different instructions for each doctor out there.

I have a lot of white scabs (fairly sticky) that are still coming off, although progress is good. My only concern is that I came across this post from someone who noted that scabs left on too long can "suffocate" and kill the grafts underneath if left on too long:

Problem with scabs after surgical hair transplants: I'm suffocating - I can't breathe!

Any thoughts on this?

10 ten after my HT, I started using the shower head to gently spray warm water onto my scabs for about ten to fifteen minutes. This helped loosen up the scabs, then I would gently massage the scabs with my finger tips to help them off. I would do this three to four times a day with good results. It may take two to three days of doing this to work off the scabs.

Good luck!

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Thanks Atticus,

I guess my specific question is if the grafts can "die" if the scabs are left on too long as the article claims.

It depends on many factors. Were they thin scabs, or heavy thick scabs? Did you see hair coming through thin scabbing? Hair techs and docs alike preach taking the scabs off as soon as possible, so there is probably some validity to the theory that scabs impede "breathing".

At this point, I would try not to worry much. I think you stated you are seeing results, so that's good.

Have a good one!

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.