Finasteride and hair shedding

sjones23

Hi,

I got for first Finasteride pills yesterday but have still yet to take any of them,

ive heard about hair shedding which worries me a little, my biggest concern is that im going home to the UK for christmas and i dont want to look a smooth as a bowling ball, if i start taking the pills could this happen or would it start to grow in by then as its 5 months away:(

Any info would be most appreciated:)

Have a good day folks

The shedding is not significant you will be slightly thinner, you will not go completely bald from this. By 5 months the shedding period should end, and start to stabilize. Start as soon as possible because you can continue to lose more native hair within the next 5 months that you could save by using the medication.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

sjones23,

Keep in mind that everyone responds to the drug differently. I, for instance, had been taking fin for 8 months (proscar tablets cut into 1/4's) but experienced nothing but a prolonged period of shedding that has accelerated diffuse thinning all over my scalp and frontal region. Every day I would shed 50+ hairs while showering while experiencing no regrowth, at all. I know that people are supposed to naturally shed up to 100 hair follicles per day but what bothered me was that the shedding didn't stop, nor did I grow any of the shed back. The result is that I am much worse than I was before I started taking fin, 8 months ago.

I've decided to take a break from the medication at this point and reassess what I should do. I have read some cases where people who have gone off of fin actually regrow the hair that had been shed while on fin. And then there are those who claim that all the regrown hair will eventually fall out and you will be further worse off then you were when stopping fin. This has been such a nightmare for me and I don't know what to do at this point. Just wanted to share my troubles and heed word of caution to you before you start your own battle against hair loss. Hope you have better luck than me!