FUE on curly hair?

Hi all,

I'm considering an HT and the only procedure I can think of is FUE (as I wouldn't want to have a scar). I'm about NW 4-5 and may progress to NW6 in future. My donor density is 80 fu/cm2 according to 3 different HT surgeons with whom I had consulations with recently.

I understand that being NW 4-5 I would need lots of grafts. I had consultation with couple of doctors here in Canada and I was told I would need around 5000-6000 grafts to cover the frontal third with good coverage and the crown a bit less. And as my donor is around 80 fu/cm2 so there are enough grafts available according to the doctor. As for the budget thing, that is not an issue as I have enough funds to go for FUE. I'm also Ok with having 2 or 3 surgeries rathar than going for one big procedure.

Now the question is: Am I good a candidate for FUE? Especially for the fact that my hair are a bit curly.

Looking forward to get valuable comments.

Curly hair is not a deterent from having the FUE procedure. There are situations where it could make it more difficult, for instance in African American hair which can be extremely curly but the difficult part is that it curls under the skin, making transecting the grafts a possibility.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have understood that it could be a bit more difficult. Luckily my hair are not as curly as American African (by luckily I mean that its more favorable for FUE than if they were as curly as African Americans).

I was wondering what is the yield rate in general for FUE? And how much could it increase if the hair are curly?

The yield would be the same if it were curly or not curly, as I believe only African American hair curls under the dermis. The yield depends on the skill of the surgeon, the quality of your skin and your hair but it should fall somewhere around 80-90%.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians