I am a 27 year old male whose hairline is not what it was in his teens. I heard of the "adult" hairline myth but i feel it is a euphemism for you are going bald because i see plenty of guys who are in their 30s and 40s with perfectly low thick hairlines!

Here are my photos.

Pictures by StartingToRecede - Photobucket

1. I was wondering what i am on the norwood scale?

2. Should i start propecia?

3. If worst comes to worst how many graft hair transplant do i need?

4. I heard some people say it is not good to get a hair transplant when you just start to lose hair.. why is that? I am a noob so excuse my dumb questions.

5. Does propecia help with the frontal or does it only thicken up the vertex?

6. I used to cut my hair short all the time now im afraid if i cut it bald people see how badly i am receding. Any advice is appreciated fellas.

7. If i just let my hair stay relaxed when it is long or even pony tail it when it is long it is not that noticeable. The only time it is noticeable is when i pull it back and take a picture like i did below.

8. Do you think the fact i pull my hair back really hard makes my hair looks more recessed than it is?

Here are some of my photos... if you guys need clearer shots let me know or if any experts want to see me via skype let me know as well through pm i will shoot you my skype. (no homo)

9. Do i have a "maturing" adult hairline... is that just that a myth. I see plenty of people with really low nice hairlines ::envies;:: when they are in their 30s and 40s. any insight is greatly appreicated!

Edited by StartingToRecede

I am a 27 year old male whose hairline is not what it was in his teens. I heard of the "adult" hairline myth but i feel it is a euphemism for you are going bald because i see plenty of guys who are in their 30s and 40s with perfectly low thick hairlines!

Here are my photos.

Pictures by StartingToRecede - Photobucket

1. I was wondering what i am on the norwood scale?

Norwood 2

2. Should i start propecia?

Not unless a doctor finds evidence of miniaturization i.e. Androgenetic Alopecia (aka AGA, Male Pattern Baldness)

3. If worst comes to worst how many graft hair transplant do i need?

Your hairline has not receded past a mature level and it would be a bad idea to transplant any grafts now.

4. I heard some people say it is not good to get a hair transplant when you just start to lose hair.. why is that? I am a noob so excuse my dumb questions.

Transplanted hair should last a lifetime. You have to make sure that your hair pattern will look natural at all ages and if you lose more hair.

5. Does propecia help with the frontal or does it only thicken up the vertex?

Propecia helps hair in the crown better than in the front and helps the hairline worst of all. It helps hair that is just starting to be affected better than hair that is almost gone.

6. I used to cut my hair short all the time now im afraid if i cut it bald people see how badly i am receding. Any advice is appreciated fellas.

Most but not all men develop a mature hairline in their late 20s and early 30s. Some have genetic hair loss and continue to recede. Others get to a mature hairline then don't lose more hair. Based on these photos alone, we can't predict what will happen with you. For now, you should style your hair confidently however you like. You now have a man's hairline instead of a boy's. Wear your hair proudly.

7. If i just let my hair stay relaxed when it is long or even pony tail it when it is long it is not that noticeable. The only time it is noticeable is when i pull it back and take a picture like i did below.

OK

8. Do you think the fact i pull my hair back really hard makes my hair looks more recessed than it is?

You have a normal man's hairline. You have strong temporal points and a widow's peak (central peak) and that makes the frontotemporal recessions look deeper than they are.

Here are some of my photos... if you guys need clearer shots let me know or if any experts want to see me via skype let me know as well through pm i will shoot you my skype. (no homo)

9. Do i have a "maturing" adult hairline... is that just that a myth. I see plenty of people with really low nice hairlines ::envies;:: when they are in their 30s and 40s. any insight is greatly appreicated!

There are some men in their 30s and 40s who have youthful hairlines and thick hair over their whole head but most men in their 30s and 40s have hairlines that are slightly higher and more receded than yours.

Starting-To-Recede

I have answered your questions in blue inside one big quote (because I was too lazy to break it up into small quotes.)

Right now, your hairline has not receded past a mature level so you may have picked the wrong name. Like most other 27 year-olds, you have about a 50-50 chance that you will develop AGA by the age of 50 and about a 67% chance that you will have at least some hair loss in your lifetime. If you are concerned, it would be best for you to see a doctor to look for miniaturization elsewhere to see if there are any signs of genetic hair loss or Androgenetic Alopecia.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Starting-To-Recede

I have answered your questions in blue inside one big quote (because I was too lazy to break it up into small quotes.)

Right now, your hairline has not receded past a mature level so you may have picked the wrong name. Like most other 27 year-olds, you have about a 50-50 chance that you will develop AGA by the age of 50 and about a 67% chance that you will have at least some hair loss in your lifetime. If you are concerned, it would be best for you to see a doctor to look for miniaturization elsewhere to see if there are any signs of genetic hair loss or Androgenetic Alopecia.

can a regular dermatologist assess me or do i have to go to a hair restoration clinic?

i have a MILD CASE case of alopecia areata. i get the occasional bald patch which can grow back with a cortisteroid injection. this occurs throughout my whole scalp sporadically but it is very mild and cureable via steroid injections. how will this affect me getting a hair transplant?

Edited by StartingToRecede

You can see either a hair restoration doctor or a dermatologist as long as they are used to assessing for miniaturization.

First, you may not need hair transplantation if you don't develop AGA later.

Alopecia Areata can definitely affect transplanted hair. It is usually a temporary localized condition but not always. Some doctors never treat patients who have Alopecia Areata. Others will advise patients of the risk and will agree to transplant if the Alopecia Areata has been stable for 1-2 years.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You can see either a hair restoration doctor or a dermatologist as long as they are used to assessing for miniaturization.

First, you may not need hair transplantation if you don't develop AGA later.

Alopecia Areata can definitely affect transplanted hair. It is usually a temporary localized condition but not always. Some doctors never treat patients who have Alopecia Areata. Others will advise patients of the risk and will agree to transplant if the Alopecia Areata has been stable for 1-2 years.

i mean if i was balding i wouldn't mind the alopecia areata hair as donor hair because im fine with getting a few mild spots of hairloss that can be treated.