Claim your hair transplant on your taxes! (Canada)

For any Canadians out there who have had hair transplant surgery, don't forget that it is an eligible medical expense for tax purposes. Click here for details.

Believe me, it is to your benefit to claim this expense on your taxes.

Make sure you have your receipt that shows the amount you paid. The Canada Revenue Agency will likely ask to see it since it is generally such a large claim amount; they'd like to see proof.

For any Canadians out there who have had hair transplant surgery, don't forget that it is an eligible medical expense for tax purposes. Click here for details.

Believe me, it is to your benefit to claim this expense on your taxes.

Make sure you have your receipt that shows the amount you paid. The Canada Revenue Agency will likely ask to see it since it is generally such a large claim amount; they'd like to see proof.

yes thanks for the reminder Goldilocks!

but to tell you the truth i'd be more happy if i could've claimed my interest on mortgage like our good neighbors down south can/do than HT as medical expense.

us Canadians are getting screwed with income taxes like no other developed country. i think we rank #1 in the world in regard to highest taxes paid per person.

we are getting screwed big time!!!

but hey look at the bright side, we have clean streets and highways!!! tcsssssss icon_frown.gif

Glenn,

i read on some forum that you can. it's your personal health so no matter where you spent your money as long as you have the invoice/receipt.

laws might have changed since then so you better off if you double check.

According to the Canada Revenue Agency website, it indicates that "generally, you can claim all amounts paid, even if they were not paid in Canada." (See here).

When they say "generally", as long as it is an allowable medical expense (which hair transplantation is), you can most certainly claim it on your taxes.

Interestingly enough, CRA also indicates that you may also be able to claim the cost of traveling if the treatment was not available locally within 40 kilometers from your locality. And, if you need to travel more than 80 kilometers, you may also be able to claim the cost of meals and accommodations in addition to the travel expenses. (See here).

Oh yes, and CRA is quite particular about the paperwork showing proof of payment. An invoice won't cut it whereas a receipt does. (An invoice does not necessarily show that a payment was made whereas a receipt does). It is best to send in all paperwork related to your procedure should CRA request it from you to support your claim.

• 6 years later...