17y/o balding and feeling depressed...

Hi everyone

I have been following this site for about a month or two now mainly because I have started to notice that my hairline has been receding especially in my temples. All the males on my mother's side are nw6+ and I have a strong feeling that I will end up one too. I do not mind being bald when I am 40/50+ but I am only 17 and I am already around nw2.

I have always been a very self concious person and the thought of losing my hair is unimaginable. Everyday I pull my hair back in front of the mirror and look at my hairline, it makes me feel depressed and very distracted. Everytime the wind blows, I quickly pull my hair back down to avoid people seeing my hairline. And I never change hairdresser for the fear of them mocking and making fun of me. My receding hairline has made me so stressed..

Whats more is that my final exams for university entrance are in the coming months and instead of studying I keep thinking about my hairloss.

I have recently met a girl and I know she will leave me one day if she finds out I am going bald... And I know that in the future it will be difficult to find a girl because of this.

I hope scientists are working on a cure for the near future because I will definetely have it done no matter what the cost is. I really hope they find better treatment or a cure.. Right now the only motivation I have is to work hard so I can get into a good profession and pay for the cure/treatment.....

I wish I did not have mpb at this age... it sucks so much that i hate myself

potetochippu,

I'm very sorry to hear the you are experiencing hair loss at such a young age. You've come to the right place as many of us have had similar experiences. I first noticed my hairline receding at around 19 years old. I was sure at that time that I'd be completely bald by the time I was 25 but I had reasonably decent hair till my mid thirties with no medical treatment.

Today, you have options that I didn't have when my hair loss began. Though you are not yet 18, I suggest talking to your doctor about Propecia (finasteride). He may want you to wait as it's not recommended for guys under 18 but I recommend starting Rogaine (minoxidil) in the meantime. These medications may help you to slow your hair loss and allow you to keep the hair you have now for much longer than you would without them.

You've got youth on your side. The younger you are when you begin these medical hair loss treatments, the more effective they can be. Also, why I don't want plant the seed of false hope, I do believe that there is a very strong possibility that medical science will bring about more effective treatments while you are still young enough to benefit from them.

Until that time, try to concentrate on your studies, stay fit and stay active in communities like this for support.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 10 months later...

Hey Potetochippu,

I know how you are feeling bud. I had a receding line since i was 16 years old. Used to be a skater due with a shag back in highscool. Back then, i never really gave the receding hair line that much attention as my long hair covered it well. I used to be the life of the party man, had been in many relationships and in general a very personable/popular guy.

When hit second year university, my hair really started to fall out. I definitely through me into a stage of shock. I would stay in for the weekends months at a time, looking at the mirror and pulling my own hair out asking why me?

I can tell you this, time is on your side man. Technology is advancing day by day. In just two years of me considering getting a surgical procedure, the industry went from the strip method ( i think its called follicular unit grafting) to the FUE method ( which is without a strip). In my mind that jump in procedures was amazing since now, you no longer need to have a scar in the back of your head for the rest of your life. Can you imagine what technology will accomplish in the next two years?

Looking back at my path, I will give you this advise; for now I think you should enjoy life. If you happen to have wings or shag ( long hair like i did), try and find a different hair cut that is possibly super short on the side and longer on the middle ( take a lot of attention off your hairline). Another , and in my opinion the best piece of advise would be do buzz cut your hair ( really short but not skinhead) and maybe start using 5% rogane. I think by taking rogane and buzzing ur head, you will be just fine man.

Just relax and let technology do its thing. Every day that goes by works towards your advantage. I am no doctor and this is just my personal opinion from past experience.

Cheers man

• 4 weeks later...

I started losing my hair in the temple area when I was 13. Being a female I immediately felt that I wasn't attractive or lacked the know how for hair care. I just felt like I caused it because no one else was suffering from it in my family. I had no support from my family.

Occasionally I would have seizures, usually in my sleep. The seizures stopped for a time but resumed in my late 30s. I have since learned that I have Celiac Sprue. Which is a severe reaction to gluten that is found in bread pasta etc.

Guess what one of the symptoms of Celiac Sprue is? Hair loss. And it runs in families. You can be tested for it or just change your diet. I've had some regrowth since changing my diet. But now at the age of 40 I'm going to get a HT. It takes courage to be happy and do what you must to achieve it. It took me awhile to get there. You'll get there too.