Itching on day 4

mbd

I am currently 4 days post-op. My head is itching like crazy. I'm sure this is a common feature, but how long does the itching last? Is itching a good or bad sign?

Also, off topic, when can I stop sleeping with my head elevated?

I was prescribed Vicadin, but I'm not using it unless I really need it. I've been taking extra strength tylenol. As per the doctor's recommendations, on Day 3, I started spraying the Oat-Beta-Gluca and using Graftsite shampoo that they provided.

Post-op itching isn't common but a few patients do feel itchy. More often, patients feel numb for 6 to 8 weeks. If patients are itchy using a saline spray may help.

Patients can also use non-sedating antihistamines like Claritin, Aerius, Allegra, or Reactine during the day. If itch is making it hard to sleep, sedating antihistamines like Benadryl can help.

The grafts are most susceptible to trauma during the first 3-4 days. You should be careful not to scratch the recipient area. Scratching with your fingernails can dislodge the grafts.

We ask our patients to sleep with their head elevated for 3 nights...but check with your clinic just to be sure.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

My itching pretty much stopped after the first week. I was putting aloe-vera gel on the donor area. My stitches were removed on day 11. I'm in the waiting game now; hopefully, the transplanted hair will begin to noticeably show the next couple of weeks. Last week, my barber said that he can see the hair.

Edited by mbd

Even though Louise does HT's for a living, I'm going disagree with him. I'm actually a little surprised at his response to be honest.

Itching would be expected after a hairtransplant on both the donor and the recipient. Your skin has been wounded and it's part of the healing process just like a scrape on knee when you were a kid.....white blood cells release histamines that cause the itching totally normal. Refrain from scratching the recipient area though until the grafts have had a chance to settle in.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

Yes I agree with Ahairdown as I become restless I am having a habit of moving my hand lightly over my head.. just some time back a single graft which was hard came out i was shocked.

I will avoid doing anything of that sort hench forth and wear a surgical cap.

thanks.

RF