I Am Starting to Lose My Hair...

I am only 20, but recently I have started noticing my hair line moving back. I also get these little stray hairs on my hairline that are sorta short and go in all weird directions, which I guess is another sign of hair loss. Take a look at the pic and tell me what you think. My hair has always been pretty thick, and it still is in the back of my head. Just the front is thinning. Take a look at the pic in the link and tell me what you guys think.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Also, what do you think should be my next step? Eventually I want to do hair transplant surgery (what age should I do it in? The earlier the better...), but for now I want to try to prevent it as much as possible. I have done a little research and have read about DHT blockers, but have no idea what form they come in and what to look for. I am new so any help would be great! Thanks.

hairlossfreak12,

Welcome! At your age, the progression that your hair loss will take is still largely unpredictable. You may simply be experiencing a maturing hairline. Do you have a history of balding in your family?

In my opinion, your first step should be to consult with your family doctor or a dermatologist. If you are experiencing the early stages of male pattern balding then starting Propecia (finasteride) immediately will be your best course of action. It is highly recommended that patients include Rogaine (minoxidil) in their hair loss regimen along with finasteride for best results. This combination is considered by many experts to be the best drug treatment for male pattern hair loss currently available.

I also suggest starting to document your hair loss in monthly photos. This will enable you to more accurately monitor it. Generally hair transplant surgery is not an option until late twenties/early thirties but there are many factors at play. When you are ready, I suggest consulting with one of our prescreened quality hair restoration physicians. You can even schedule free online consultations.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hair loss can take many forms. Typically men will follow one of the patterns identified in the Norwood Scale. However, balding can present in virtually any pattern.

Hair loss that happens simultaneously over the entire head is known as diffuse.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website