Study on persistent Finasteride side effects in young men aged 21-46

Sigildark

I know some people like me are on the fence when it comes to using this drug.

Part of me desperately just wants to take it and then the other part of me calls for caution. But until recently credible info was hard to come by, vocal minority aside on various forums. And well, that left me begging for more information from credible sources.

I came across a few sources of information today that i wanted to share with people that are also struggling with the decision relating to commencing the use of Propecia to help treat MPB.

On March 18th 2011, a study was published in The Journal of Sexual Medicine pertaining to persistent side effects by a Professor at George Washington University. A George Washington University website article discussing the study can be found here. The published study can be found here. A video of the doctor discusing his research can be found

This study doesnt establish the level of risk outside of stating that it does appear to exist. It's worth noting that as of May 2011, Merk has updated their side effect document to include text that states that in general use (aka post study), difficulty in achieving an erection can continue after stopping the medication has been reported. This document can be found here.

Unfortunately the risk of persistent sides isn't yet measurable despite the study, presumably it's very small but apparently it's real. As such, I thought some people might appreciate reading thru this information to make the most educated decision possible.

Edited by Sigildark

My first post on here so please forgive me any faux pas.

This has been a topic of interest for me lately. I am a client of Hair Club for Men, which I have been very happy with. When I originally started up with them, almost two years ago, they put me on Minoxodil, Propecia, shampoo and their supplement. I was warned that there were possible side effects (sexual potency mostly) but that they were low risk and if experienced went away once you stopped taking the drug.

I was fortunate and never experienced any of those side effects. I've been on the drug now for quite a while. It seems to me that the I am unlikely, at this point, to develop those side effects. However, the doctor at HCM has cautioned me about renewing my prescription and wants me to do my due diligence before he will give me a new prescription.

The drug, along with the rest of the program, has had an undeniable positive affect on my hair and I am reluctant to give it up. My question is, has anyone come across information that would tell me if I'm 'safer' having been on the drug now for a prolonged period of time.

As the doctor said, he knows that the hair results are amazing, but given the new information he is no longer proscribing it for new patients until more information is available.

If it matters, I am a 27 year old white male from the United States.

I have not looked at the study, as I do not have the time because of other works, but I have watched the video report. I have to question one thing: to what extent have the actual statistics of sexual disfunction among men been taken into account while doing the study? As far as I can see, the actual report is very very bare, with only the basic premise having been looked at. This is not necessarily new. I do believe that sexual disfunction is connected with finasteride in some form of way, but Im not convinced at the extent (wether minimized or, as in many cases, elevated). As far as current statistics go, sexual disfunction is about as common as it can get:

MMHC - Facts about erectile dysfunction, impotency, vasectomy reversal, and treatment options.

One in 10 men in the world have erectile dysfunction.

30 million men in the United States have erectile dysfunction.

50% of men with diabetes have erectile dysfunction, frequently within 10 years of diagnosis.

The likelihood of erectile dysfunction increases with age: 39% at age 40, 65% over the age of 65.

Smokers have a higher likelihood of erectile dysfunction. Men who smoke more than 1 pack per day have a 50% higher chance of impotency than nonsmokers the same age.

"About 40 percent of women and 30 percent of men experience sexual dysfunction, a rate much higher than previously believed, according to a new study by researchers at the University and the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School."

Researchers publish new study on sexual dysfunction

As with many of the studies, I cannot see a direct enough of a correlation to make any real conclusion with the study.The researcher made the percentage as high as 70%. Is he going just based on actual reports? I feel that the prevalence of the problem matched by anxiety can really affect many men in a negative way in this regard.

Anyway, I can't say that I am not spooked. I am a bit. Ive taken it for a year but have not noticed anything much... but then again, I am pretty young. Still, the thought of long term damage is disconcerting.

Edited by Telepinu

i may be wrong / off base but this is my understanding:

what this study does not do is provide a metric for the incidence of persistent side effects

as such it doesnt determine the actual risk of experiencing persistent side effects

what it did do is focus on people with persistent side effects, documented what those were and how long they had/were being experienced for after cessation amongst other things

to be included in the study you had to meet the following requirements (amongst others)

completely sexually healthy prior to using finasteride

could not have been previously diagnosed with certain mental health issues prior to taking finasteride

the symptoms lasted for more then 3 months after quitting prior to the age of 40

yes, it's very possible that some people could experience the onset of some of the mentioned symptoms due to genetics while taking finasteride for reasons totally unrelated to finasteride while being perfectly fine prior to starting up with the drug by coincidence/bad timing, certainly for some that is the case

however the doctor/study concludes that a certain subset of people experience side effects that they cannot recover from in what can be considered as an acceptable time frame due to fin. what the odds are to be part of that subset is unknown

As i stated in the OP Merk did add the possibility of persistent sides relating to ED once propecia is discontinued. Probably partially to protect themselves legally. It's happening, wether it's 1%, .1% or .01% or w/e, that's the part that is really missing from the study that people would like to see. Would be nice to see a follow up study that addresses this question.

That's the way i understand it anyhow.

Edited by Sigildark

I saw that video around the time it came out and I had a lot of the same feelings. Very fuzzy math, more of fluff piece. I would have much rather had some real hard numbers than a couple of sad looking men relating their troubles.

I've decided to resume use of Propecia. Upon rewatching the video I didn't really find it 'scientific' enough to influence me. This added with the fact that I've already used the medication for nearly two years makes me at least comfortable enough to continue use.

Telepinu's numbers about male ED for just the general population help to affirm my decision. There are a lot of men out their, for whatever reason, that have some degree of ED. I have a young friend who is a former drug addict and suffered from very serious ED for almost 3 years after getting clean.

All that said, I would like to see increased research into the short and long term effects of Propecia. Hopefully the next reporting will include more hard data and less personal recounts.

I am also conscerned with this new study. Having permanent side-effects is something not accounted for in the Propecia manual. Although I read that it has been including the possibility of permanent erectile dysfunction according to your reports.

The other question I'd like to make to the patients interviewed is, when they started perceiving sexual dysfunction, why didn't they immediately cease medication?

Also, more important than all of these side-effects. Does Propecia increase possibility to develop prostate tumour at older age?

The other question I'd like to make to the patients interviewed is, when they started perceiving sexual dysfunction, why didn't they immediately cease medication?

Well the literature on the drug says that side effects for many people disapear after continued use over a prolonged period of time. So presumably the user thinks that things are going to get better in time. I'm sure others quit sooner then later. Everyone's situation and needs are different and people are willing to go to different lenghts. And keep in mind they were using the assumption that everything would return to normal after cessation.

Edited by Sigildark