Hair Loss stability.

Hey.

I know this is a hard one to nail down but when Hair loss becomes stable how long does that stability last usually?

Iam 32 years old and a NW2 and have been that way for 4 and a half years now.

This will sound even stranger but it's only recently I've noticed it. I think because I've been restyling my hair differentely. I used to just wash my hair, dry it quick so I never got to see the damage then buzz my hair with clippers but I've more and more been going to the hair dressers and when they wet your hair you stare yourself in that mirror and realise.

I have quite thick hair apart from on my crown where it's a bit thin but not a bald patch and my receding hairline and obviously I'm not thrilled with where it is but I can live with it. My fear is it getting any worse immediately.

I know eventually it will go like my dad whose did a similar thing until his fifties then it really started to thin out.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Sorry for bringing this up again but can someone at least answer me this.

If your hair loss stabilises does that happen all over?

What I mean is I have been receeding at the temples but have only just noticed thinning on the top (starts at the crown to 1/3rd the way along the top of my head) until recently because how many times to do you see the top of your own head?

The thinning at the temples has stopped and basically I have been stabile there from between 4-5 years.

If I stabilise there will I stabilise all over?

Again I can't tell if the top thinning has stopped because I have only just seen it.

appleguy,

I think that everyone will agree that the only rule to hair loss is that there are no rules. Speaking from my experience, I receding pretty rapidly starting from about the age of 19 to about 21 or 22. It happened so quickly that I thought I'd be a NW V by the age of 25. To my pleasant surprise, I still had pretty good hair until about 30. Of course, at that time I didn't know that you could lose up to 50% of your hair before hair loss become noticeable.

I was lulled into a false sense of security and began to feel that my hair loss had stabilized and I wouldn't lose much more, if any. HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART!!! I missed the opportunity to start finasteride when it eventually became available. Of course, Rogaine and Propecia were extremely expensive in those days and I probably couldn't have afforded them anyway.

Somewhere between the ages of 30 and 35 I lost a ton of hair and didn't even realize it. In my mind, I was still a NW !!. It was an errant comment from a barber about my thinning that woke me up to what was going on.

Hair loss can start, stop and restart and any time. It can happen in just about any pattern and independently of family history.

Your best bet is to find a doctor that performs miniaturization mapping and take monthly photos of your head from multiple angles.

Hope I've addressed your question.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website