Finasteride regimen

I'm currently purchasing 5mg Finasteride and cutting the pill into fourths (1.25 mg) for daily use. However, I know many of you on this board have varying regimens for Propecia/Proscar/Finasteride use. Some of you seem to take it every other day, while others take a .50 mg pill every day. I was considering the former (since it's very hard to cut the 5 mg pill any smaller than fourths), but I wanted to read some input from those of you that don't follow the 1 mg per day recommendation. What have you noticed from changing 1 mg per day (if anything)? I've been on Finasteride for over 18 months now, and if I could cut back on my daily intake without losing ground, I'd definitely consider it for both side-effect concerns and financial.

Coligion,

This can be a contentious topic at times due to some of the ambiguity surrounding finasteride and the recommended dosage routines. Dr. Cooley has discussed the issue pretty objectively in this article: Taking Propecia for Hair Loss Every Other Day?

I personally feel comfortable following the conventional prescription directions for Propecia 1mg, but reputable hair transplant surgeons will advise patients otherwise in some cases. I hope this helps.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

youngsuccess, thanks for the links. They were informative. I also tried to do more searching through the forum, and it seems a few users have made the choice to take the medication every other day or at .50 mg. However, I did read that in the instances where the user had been on Finasteride for over a year and then switched to every other day, they noticed some loss. This worries me as I'm in a similar boat. I think I will try splitting my 1.25 mg in half and get as close as possible to .50 mg. If I take the medication daily at a lower dose, as opposed to every other day, hopefully my body can transition better to the change. It seems users advocate every other day usage, but only if you are first starting a regimen. Perhaps the body becomes too dependent on the medication once you try to lower it after years of constant usage...