Donor scar concerns

I recently underwent a second HT procedure involving 2500 grafts. In order to have ample hair for the procedure, I grew out the sides of my hair to greath length for two and a half months.

After the procedure, I was left with a noticeable indentation where the donor hairs were taken. I am biracial (black and white), and my hair is naturally curly. I cut my hair with clippers to a shorter length. Undoubtedly, this has exposed my donor scars, but I wanted to even out the sides of my hair to match the lack of density on the top of my head where the new grafts were placed. Well, I am concerned that although my scar is a barely noticeable pencil thin scare, the hair around my scar has been slow to grow back.

The scar from my first procedure wasn't noticeable once I let my hair grow out to cover it. However, in order to match the lack of density on the top of my hair (procedure one helped a little), I was forced to resort to trimming the sides of my hair and using eyeliner pencils to color in my scar. As such, I decided to have this second procedure to add more density and free myself from this tiresome endeavor. This journey of HT surgery is never a one shot deal.

At a forty-five days out, I am concered that it's taking time for the hair around the scar to grow. Specifically, I want the hair below the scar grow back to a point where, when combined with the hair above the scar, it will cover where the donor hairs were taken. I will most likely have to straighten these hairs with a straightener to aide this process.

My HT doctor recently prescribed a thyroid liquid solution to use in the donor area to stimulate growth. Although I have only been using it for 9 days, I have started to see some regrowth.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this issue...hair regrowth problems around the donor scar? I feel confident that my HT doctor is a good, I approved of the work he did for my first procedure, but I am so worried about how long it's going to take for the hair around my scar to grow back to help cover where the donor hairs were taken. Any insightful response would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S - Sorry for the long post, but I feel frustrated by my circumstances and I hope someone can possibly help provide some insight for me.

I recently underwent a second HT procedure involving 2500 grafts. In order to have ample hair for the procedure, I grew out the sides of my hair to greath length for two and a half months.

After the procedure, I was left with a noticeable indentation where the donor hairs were taken. I am biracial (black and white), and my hair is naturally curly. I cut my hair with clippers to a shorter length. Undoubtedly, this has exposed my donor scars, but I wanted to even out the sides of my hair to match the lack of density on the top of my head where the new grafts were placed. Well, I am concerned that although my scar is a barely noticeable pencil thin scare, the hair around my scar has been slow to grow back.

The scar from my first procedure wasn't noticeable once I let my hair grow out to cover it. However, in order to match the lack of density on the top of my hair (procedure one helped a little), I was forced to resort to trimming the sides of my hair and using eyeliner pencils to color in my scar. As such, I decided to have this second procedure to add more density and free myself from this tiresome endeavor. This journey of HT surgery is never a one shot deal.

At a forty-five days out, I am concered that it's taking time for the hair around the scar to grow. Specifically, I want the hair below the scar grow back to a point where, when combined with the hair above the scar, it will cover where the donor hairs were taken. I will most likely have to straighten these hairs with a straightener to aide this process.

My HT doctor recently prescribed a thyroid liquid solution to use in the donor area to stimulate growth. Although I have only been using it for 9 days, I have started to see some regrowth.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this issue...hair regrowth problems around the donor scar? I feel confident that my HT doctor is a good, I approved of the work he did for my first procedure, but I am so worried about how long it's going to take for the hair around my scar to grow back to help cover where the donor hairs were taken. Any insightful response would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S - Sorry for the long post, but I feel frustrated by my circumstances and I hope someone can possibly help provide some insight for me.

Simonsez,

It sounds like you are experiencing shock loss. In most cases it grows back, but it can take months. I myself experienced shock loss with my procedure back in August. I would say it's about 75% grown back, but I still have a few small areas with little to no hair. Unfortunately, there is no "quick fix". It just takes time.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

Simonsez.

I can relate to your concerns. I am almost 8 weeks post op and had a hard time concealing the scar. I believe shock loss is what your experiencing. Now at 8 weeks it is getting easier for me to conceal. Until week 6 my donor area was looking horrible but it is now starting to improve. I feel in another month this issue will be behind me for the most part.

PM me if you want to see some pics.