Lots of post-op shedding - is it normal?

I'm about 10 days post op now, and for the past 5 days I've had a feeling that I'm shedding more hair than usual from all over my head (well everywhere except the recipient area). The donor area is also shaved right down so I wouldn't notice if it was shedding anyway.

Tonight I washed the back and top of my head in the shower and each time I ran my hands through my hair I'd pick up a few loose hairs. I did this for quite a while, and the hairs kept coming...over 100 for sure (over the course of 30 mins or something).

This has got me pretty worried since I don't think I actually shed much hair in the shower before the op. However, I used to shower morning and night, so perhaps I just wouldn't notice. Obviously I've only been washing my hair very gently for the past 10 days so it's possible there was just a big build up of hairs waiting to be cleaned up.

Anyone else notice similar things in the post-op weeks? How long did it take for the shedding to stabilise?

It's difficult to be objective with this because I'm focusing much more on my hair than normal, but I don't think I've seen this much shedding for a long time.

I'm about 10 days post op now, and for the past 5 days I've had a feeling that I'm shedding more hair than usual from all over my head (well everywhere except the recipient area). The donor area is also shaved right down so I wouldn't notice if it was shedding anyway.

Tonight I washed the back and top of my head in the shower and each time I ran my hands through my hair I'd pick up a few loose hairs. I did this for quite a while, and the hairs kept coming...over 100 for sure (over the course of 30 mins or something).

This has got me pretty worried since I don't think I actually shed much hair in the shower before the op. However, I used to shower morning and night, so perhaps I just wouldn't notice. Obviously I've only been washing my hair very gently for the past 10 days so it's possible there was just a big build up of hairs waiting to be cleaned up.

Anyone else notice similar things in the post-op weeks? How long did it take for the shedding to stabilise?

It's difficult to be objective with this because I'm focusing much more on my hair than normal, but I don't think I've seen this much shedding for a long time.

To put your mind at ease, I had post-op shedding around 10 days as well. I was extremely worried because everyone else on the forum mentioned 2, 3, or even 4 weeks.

When my hair shed, it REALLY shed. Like you mentioned, every time I ran my hand through my hair, there were tons of hairs that came out.

Now, I'm 3 months post-op and the hair is growing like crazy. No problems. So kick back, relax, and enjoy the football season!

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The shedding of non-transplanted hair in areas not touched by the procedure has continued unabated and is worrying me. I seem to find a lot of hair on my pillows and all over my bathroom which definitely wasn't happening before the procedure.

I don't have exact counts but just doing something like gently drying my hair after a shower will result in up to 100 hairs in the sink.

Have a look at these photos and give me your opinion.

In the 5 month pre-op photo my hair was shaved to grade 4 by a barber around 1 week before this was taken.

In the 24 day post op photo I just shaved my hair to a grade 3 myself.

Despite the difference in hair length and slight difference in lighting, I think there is a lot more loss in the 24 day post op photo.

Possibilities:

1) There isn't any loss and this is all due to hair length differences, or

2) I've continued to lose hair over the past 6 months and this is the result, or

3) This is a result of the extra shedding I've experienced since the procedure, or

4) Combination of the above

I'm really hoping it's not 2) since I've been on fin for the past 6 months and that doesn't bode well for the future if it is.

If it's 3) then I guess it could recover assuming the shedding calms down.

top_crop.thumb.jpg.90aa68e8eac022aaf4357f7803a61a50.jpg

Relax man .... stress will cause you more hair loss icon_smile.gif Now that you are post op you are alot more sensitive to changes in your scalp and hair. As you must have heard before shedding is normal for most individuals post op furthermore we all shed 100 or so hairs daily anyway ... you are just noticing it more now because you are looking for miniscule changes in your head now.

Things will get better ... there is nothing you can do besides keep taking your meds, add rogaine as instructed by your MD 2 weeks post op and dont pay too much attention to your head for the first 3-4 months or you'll drive yourself crazy ..... running your hand through your head for 30 minutes !?!? wow ... drink a beer and sit back, listen to some music.

SDM

Scottishguy, each person is different in terms of shedding, etc. I am guessing it is normal for some people to have more shedding post-op than others. If it's bothering you too much, you can talk to your doctor and/or his staff. As long as this is a temporary shock loss, you should be fine in a few months. The only worrying factor is permanent shock loss for minitiarized hairs on their way out, or hair transected during the surgery.

You mentioned the shedding about non-transplanted hair. How about the transplanted grafts? Have they all shed? Is it possible that you're counting the shedded transplanted grafts with the non-transplanted ones?

Good luck!

Originally posted by Forrest Gump:

You mentioned the shedding about non-transplanted hair. How about the transplanted grafts? Have they all shed? Is it possible that you're counting the shedded transplanted grafts with the non-transplanted ones?

Good luck!

Thanks. The transplanted grafts look a bit different to other hairs so I can usually tell them apart and don't count them. Many of the transplanted grafts have shed already.

I'll visit Dr Rahal in a few days so he can check that everything looks normal. Otherwise I'll just keep taking the meds and no doubt things will settle down within a few weeks. I just hope that the fin is working.