Based in UK, want 2nd transplant, Norwood 2

bcreem

Hi all,

3 years ago I had a 1,000 graft transplant with a UK doctor. This restored my hairline at the temples. I have been satisfied with the result and it was the right thing to do at the time.

While my hairline is still holding up, it is thinning beyond the hairline. I think it is time to consider getting another transplant done early next year. I use Propecia and Rogaine.

Which surgeons would be recommended for a guy in his late 20s in this situation? My feeling is that I'd be looking at getting something like 2,500 grafts, then perhaps looking at the situation again when I'm well into my thirties.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hey!

I've had dental work in Turkey before, and had a throat operation in the USA.

So, yes I am willing to travel and I can cope OK with recovery while overseas.

I love visiting the United States but I am afraid the cost of a transplant could be prohibitive. And the answer to that is "don't go cheap on a transplant, just wait and save your money".

Which is true, but on the other hand, the dental work in Turkey was very good, so I want to keep my options open, despite knowing that the cream of the crop are over in the USA.

My budget is in the $6k to $7k kind of ballpark.

First off, pictures would help. Its great that your on meds, but as we know their effectivness reduces with time - but keep taking them!!

You need to ask yourself if you want to get surgery in the UK, or are you prepared to fly elsewhere? I'm from the UK, and I personally feel that when I get a transplant, i'll be going to Canada to get it done, as I feel the best surgeons are there.

If you want to go with the UK, don't consider anyone else except for DR Farjo in Manchester. He'll be honest with you and his work is good. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO GO WITH ANOTHER UK DOC AS YOU WILL PROBABLY GET BUTHERED. In fact you're very lucky you didn't get butchered first time around.

Research on this forum using the search function, look at grown out results from lots of surgeons, do online consultations with the best docs all over the world, meet Dr Farjo - then weigh up all the info and make your decision. If you stick with the recommended docs on this forum, you will be in good hands.

Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Is adding density a slightly different skill versus restoring a hairline to a guy who was completely bald to begin with? Or is that not really a factor.

Another possibly dumb question; will the area which receives the grafts, need to be shaved? With my first transplant simply restoring hair at the temples, that wasn't an issue.

As Splitting Hairs has said, in the UK I'd personally only consider the Farjo's. If you're willing to travel, there are many great doctors; you can find a list -here-.

Do your research, consult and decide which you feel best with - If cost is a barrier check out the doctors listed in Thailand, Pakistan and India.

While transplanting into thinning areas you run the risk of shock loss. Some of these hairs may not return, though, it is often believed that these hairs were on their way out.

Some doctors will insist on the receipt site being shaved, this is something you should ask in your online consultations.