question about Finasteride.

Nebs1962

I was wondering how the doctors determine how much Proscar to take? I went to Dr. Wong and after my HT with him he prescribed Finasteride 1.25mg every monday, wednesday, and friday. Everyone else that i read about on here seems to take it everyday. Does anyone else here take it every other day and not on the weekends?

Nebs1962,

If you search thoroughly, you will find that there are many creative ways to take finasteride. According to Merck's research, the appropriate dose of finasteride for treating hair loss was deemed to be 1mg. This is the pill known as Propecia.

Because Propecia is currently still under patent in the US, there is no generic 1mg pill available. The high cost of Propecia has led cost-conscious people like myself to buy generic Proscar (5mg finasteride) and quarter the pill. Of course, this results in a 1.25mg dose rather than the 1mg of Propecia.

Some have questioned whether or not 1mg daily is even necessary which has led some doctors or patients to alter the dose. I began taking 1.25mg daily and, while I didn't experience sever side effects, I did experience some mild testicular pain in the beginning which eventually subsided along with watery semen that persisted.

I decided to reduce my dosage a bit to see if I could reduce the sides while still maintaining the benefits. My first attempt was to cut the pill into ever smaller pieces which I found awkward. Next, I decided to only take the medication every other day but I found that doing so caused me to be taking it on different days each week. Ultimately, I settled on the MWF routine and it's been working for me.

I have not noticed any increased shedding and I feel that I've seen a noticeable improvement in semen quality.

Finasteride dosing is a hot topic and some people have very strong opinions about it. I am of the opinion that it's ok to find what works for you as long as you are not overdosing it. Cutting back can't hurt anything and if your hair responds then that's all that matters.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 weeks later...

I'm concerned.

Two years ago I begun to take it but noticed I was losing my 'morning wood'. I stopped immediately and everything returned to normal.

I've been on it for a week (proscar 1/4) and am starting to notice the side effects again.

Is this just a stage I'm going through that will pass? Should I give it a longer chance? Try MWF? Or just cut my losses stick to Nizoral?

If you are getting mild side effects but just started the medication there is a good chance that with continued use the side effects can disappear. I've seen it happen many times. If you do continue with your regimen and the sides do not disappear after roughly one more month then you can stop the medication and all should still return to normal.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nebs,

Dr. Wong prescribes finasteride for M,W,F for everyone as he feels that it is still enough to halt loss and reduces the chances of the side effects that so many patients are scared about.

I took finasteride like this for the first few years and still, on the lesser intake frequency, noticed an improvement in my hair. After a few years I upped my intake to daily since I had no side effects. Finasteride is shown to be dose dependent so I figured a regular intake frequency of every day couldn't hurt.

It is recommended to all of our patients to stick with brand name Merck Proscar. Since Proscar has been cleared for "generic equivalents" by the FDA we have had some patients switch only to come back and tell us their hair started to fall out. This is why our prescriptions have been updated to include "no generic equivalent allowed".

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

After seeing the drastic effects on my body in less than two weeks I've decided I can't risk the negative impact. It's the second time I've tried to use the product and it is so clear that it is not psychosomatic. It actually scared the crap out of me. As a 33 year old male, I should have no sexual difficulty getting or maintaining an erection - it's like the drug turned the lights off.

In spite of HT doctors insisting I try it again, I'll have to continue to seek other methods like Saw Palmetto & Nizoral.