Just joined. I have some basic questions..

ben12345

Hello, I'm 20 years old and have found that my hair is thinning around the front. I did some online consults with some hair transplant doctors by sending them my pictures and the 2 that replied so far within 12 hours said I should start Propecia and Rogaine.

Well here are my questions...

1. Rogaine... I heard this doesn't work after like 3 years because the scalp becomes immune. Also that it is more effective on the crown area. I was told,

"Your pictures indicate early male pattern hair loss in the frontal recessions."

and by another doctor I was told,

"Hi, Ben. Definitely start using that Rogaine. Just once a day in the area you have thinning should be sufficient--sometimes it makes your hair a little sticky so use it at night and wash your hair in the morning if that is the case."

Should I really be using Rogaine now? What would it do for me? Shouldn't I wait until my crown starts thinning/receding?

2. One doctor told me that splitting 5mg Proscar into 4 would be fine but I have read in some threads here and other places the rumor of the active drug not being equally distributed throughout the pill. Like maybe the bottom left and bottom right would have 0 of the active drug and it would all be in the top half. Is there any proof to this? Is this a realistic theory?

3. Do hair transplants ALWAYS/USUALLY work? I was told not to even consider one until 25 but I'm wondering ahead of time. If I get a hair transplant will that hair that is put in that specific place stay and regrow for as long as the donor area would? (I have VERY thick hair around the sides and back. No matter who cuts my hair always mentions it)

4. Where is the cheapest legit place to buy 90 or 99 Proscar Pills online? Also what are the expiration dates usually? Also, would they be called Proscar??? I've seen some 5mg ProHair or something like that listed as Finasteride Mg and wasn't sure about that.

5. This is a stupid question.. but how exactly do prescriptions work? I'm only 20 so I've never had to get a prescription or get one filled. One of the doctors said,

"Propecia probably also will be a good choice. If your regular doctor does not prescribe,I can do a phone consultation since we have your pictures.-let me know if you want to set that up."

What would be the difference between getting a prescription and buying online? I don't know how that works. Like why don't all of you get a prescription? I notice some of you buy online which is what I'm looking to do.

6. Is that Toppik stuff really that great? I've seen videos and it looks amazing. They don't show the hair really close up though, does it look real? Would it work at all on the front or does it just cover up bald spots in the back? Also what would happens if it rains?

I think that's all my questions for now.

I will add an attachment of my hair so you know what i mean.

c26518.jpg.d2698366dd3e5b288d31a2d859942c4b.jpg

Hello, I'm 20 years old and have found that my hair is thinning around the front. I did some online consults with some hair transplant doctors by sending them my pictures and the 2 that replied so far within 12 hours said I should start Propecia and Rogaine.

Well here are my questions...

1. Rogaine... I heard this doesn't work after like 3 years because the scalp becomes immune. Also that it is more effective on the crown area. I was told,

"Your pictures indicate early male pattern hair loss in the frontal recessions."

and by another doctor I was told,

"Hi, Ben. Definitely start using that Rogaine. Just once a day in the area you have thinning should be sufficient--sometimes it makes your hair a little sticky so use it at night and wash your hair in the morning if that is the case."

Should I really be using Rogaine now? What would it do for me? Shouldn't I wait until my crown starts thinning/receding?

2. One doctor told me that splitting 5mg Proscar into 4 would be fine but I have read in some threads here and other places the rumor of the active drug not being equally distributed throughout the pill. Like maybe the bottom left and bottom right would have 0 of the active drug and it would all be in the top half. Is there any proof to this? Is this a realistic theory?

3. Do hair transplants ALWAYS/USUALLY work? I was told not to even consider one until 25 but I'm wondering ahead of time. If I get a hair transplant will that hair that is put in that specific place stay and regrow for as long as the donor area would? (I have VERY thick hair around the sides and back. No matter who cuts my hair always mentions it)

4. Where is the cheapest legit place to buy 90 or 99 Proscar Pills online? Also what are the expiration dates usually? Also, would they be called Proscar??? I've seen some 5mg ProHair or something like that listed as Finasteride Mg and wasn't sure about that.

5. This is a stupid question.. but how exactly do prescriptions work? I'm only 20 so I've never had to get a prescription or get one filled. One of the doctors said,

"Propecia probably also will be a good choice. If your regular doctor does not prescribe,I can do a phone consultation since we have your pictures.-let me know if you want to set that up."

What would be the difference between getting a prescription and buying online? I don't know how that works. Like why don't all of you get a prescription? I notice some of you buy online which is what I'm looking to do.

6. Is that Toppik stuff really that great? I've seen videos and it looks amazing. They don't show the hair really close up though, does it look real? Would it work at all on the front or does it just cover up bald spots in the back? Also what would happens if it rains?

I think that's all my questions for now.

I will add an attachment of my hair so you know what i mean.

Ben,

Welcome to this community! icon_smile.gif

First, let me start by saying, PLEASE refrain from essay type posts.

I'll keep my answers short and encourage you to browser the forums to gain valuable knowledge.

Answers to your questions:

START IMMEDIATELY.

Is there any proof to this? Is this a realistic theory?

Do like the doctor says, cut the pill in four and take it every day. Watch for side effects.

Do hair transplants ALWAYS/USUALLY work?

90% graft success typically, to produce 40-45 FU/cm2 which is the illusion of density.

I was told not to even consider one until 25 but I'm wondering ahead of time. If I get a hair transplant will that hair that is put in that specific place stay and regrow for as long as the donor area would?

You have to wait to see the progression of MPB in you. Age is not necessarily a stand alone factor. MPB is not an exact science.

Hair from the donor area is DHT resistant.

Where is the cheapest legit place to buy 90 or 99 Proscar Pills online?

Depends....http://www.4rx.com, www.genhair.com

Just search..ok buddy...

Also what are the expiration dates usually?

Usually 24 months after manufacture.

Also, would they be called Proscar???

Finasteride is propecia or proscar.

I've seen some 5mg ProHair or something like that listed as Finasteride Mg and wasn't sure about that.

If it has Finasteride it's ok otherwise it's probably snake oil.

This is a stupid question.. but how exactly do prescriptions work? I'm only 20 so I've never had to get a prescription or get one filled. One of the doctors said,

Your right! This is a stupid question!

You go to a doctor.

He examines you and makes a diagnosis.

He writes a prescription and gives it to you.

You take it to a pharmacist.

He gives you the drug.

All so that everyone knows you aren't self medicating.

What would be the difference between getting a prescription and buying online?

None.

I don't know how that works. Like why don't all of you get a prescription? I notice some of you buy online which is what I'm looking to do

It's cheaper and less hassle.

Is that Toppik stuff really that great? I've seen videos and it looks amazing. They don't show the hair really close up though, does it look real? Would it work at all on the front or does it just cover up bald spots in the back?

It's microfiber. It will attach itself to wherever there is hair.

Also what would happens if it rains?

It washes off.

7. AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY THE LORD RESTED.

take care...

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep my posts short.

I was wondering more about Rogaine..

How will it help me? Everywhere I look it says that Rogaine will not help frontal area thinning or baldness which is exactly what I have.

I don't understand what it would do for me.

More specifically, the official Rogaine website says...

NOT NOT USE IF:

*your amount of hair loss is different than that shown on the side of this carton or your hair loss is on the front of the scalp. 5% minoxidil topical solution is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline.

The pharmacological effect takes place throughout the scalp.

The limit of the scientific study, years ago, was for Caucasian males and for the crown.

take care...

Thanks, in that case I'll order some of that too right now.

Last question... which should I use?

The regular or the foam? Is the foam easier?

Is extra strength too strong for me? Is there such a thing as too strong?

Thanks again for all this help.

Jesus christ, no wonder some people might be anxious about posting with an attitude like mmhce's lording around over everyone.

"Your right! This is a stupid question!"

Yes, that's most likely why he directly acknowledged that fact in your quote. Couldn't resist condescending though, I guess.

I don't mean to flame, it's just that young guys like Ben and myself are already embarrassed enough, so we come to a place like this for help and solace. Let's try to be helpful without the attitude.

Isnt Rogaine supposed to be used twice daily??

I'm in the same situation as you Ben. I noticed hair loss when I was 18/19 and blamed it on everything other than MPB. My hair loss is nearly identical to yours. Especially in the first pic. Same type of thinning while retaining some weak hairs on either side. First off, I would start Rogaine RIGHT NOW. 2x a day. Let me save you some trouble: Buy the foam. Purchase it on ebay or amazon for a better deal. The liquid takes far too long to dry and 2 hours of your day will be spent waiting for the stuff to do so. Then at night you risk rubbing it all over your pillows as you toss and turn. Make the investment in foam. Second, STICK WITH IT. I don't care how much you shed or think it isn't working. Ceasing its application will make it worse. Trust me, I did it and went nearly bald in those two frontal areas before I started it up again. Give it at least a year NO MATTER WHAT or DO NOT TRY IT. Also, and here is the biggest tip I can give. Do not procrastinate along any step of the process I explained and will explain below: Go to the store, buy the first bottle of Rogaine Foam even if it costs more than online. Start using it TODAY. Make an appointment with your Doctor tomorrow morning and get those pills asap. It literally takes him 2 minutes to prescribe. You go in, show him your hairline, say I want "x" and you're done. Every day you sit and say "tomorrow" is one more day that hair continues to fall out that you will most likely not recover.

When you go to the doctor ask him for a prescription of *5mg* Finasteride. Explain the process of cutting the pill into 4ths to save money. I ended up spending hundreds of dollars on Propecia over the course of 6 months. This was until I simply informed him of the pill cutting "trick". Now I have a 2 years supply of 5mg REGULATED Finasteride for $50. Meaning no "what ifs" that you may have when dealing with online generics. Don't risk it. Be smart. Who cares what the doctors and/or nurse will think when you go there the first time and talk about hair loss. Walk in, get what you need, walk out and fuck them. I mean that. Who cares. GET OVER IT. I would also invest in a shampoo. I use Revita. It is somewhat pricey($28 a bottle on amazon). However it lasts in my experience 3 months or so using it even as directed(2 applications per shower). It is also a BOMB shampoo in its own right. These three treatments, according to "most" are the big 3 and will give you the best chance to grow back or maintain what you have.

I too went to a well known doctor and was denied a hair transplant due to my age(21). In my opinion that entire thing is bullshit, but whatever. We "waste" the best times of our lives unable to get a transplant because a doctor doesn't label us as ready. Well guess what, I have the money, understanding, and ACCEPTANCE that while it might not be the "smartest" time to get one, I simply DO NOT CARE. Hair loss has been a huge "curse" for me over the past years and I would be willing to get 10 transplants over the course of the next 10 years if it meant having a full head of hair in my 20's and then wasting away and being scarred and completely bald in my 30's. And I mean that 100%.

I have used Dermmatch as a hiding agent, and while it works I quickly became tired of the process of wearing a paint on tupee.

In any case, you get an essay for an essay I suppose. If others don't like it, don't read it. Good luck.

I am also adding in: Start taking a good multi vitamin(not centrum or some other lackluster storebought, use something like Life Force). Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Obviously I have no proof if this works... but you'll be improving all other aspects of your life by eating and living right and hopefully it will aid in your struggle.