Help! 8mths after hair surgery and my hair is getting thinner!!! :-(

I think the title says it all. I have just been looking at some photos (taken 3.5 mths after my transplant) and my hair at the front looks alot and I mean a lot thicker, than it is now. WHY???

TO give you some background, I am a female... in my 30's who suffered hair loss in my early 20's from hair pulling. However, Im wondering as my surgeon did that maybe I am actually suffering from female hair loss.

I have had four transplants, and nothing like this has happened previously. Is it possible to suffer something like this, delayed shock after a transplant???

Sorry to ramble on, but I am seriously worried and scared. Any advice given would be appreciated. :-)

I think the title says it all. I have just been looking at some photos (taken 3.5 mths after my transplant) and my hair at the front looks alot and I mean a lot thicker, than it is now. WHY???

TO give you some background, I am a female... in my 30's who suffered hair loss in my early 20's from hair pulling. However, Im wondering as my surgeon did that maybe I am actually suffering from female hair loss.

I have had four transplants, and nothing like this has happened previously. Is it possible to suffer something like this, delayed shock after a transplant???

Sorry to ramble on, but I am seriously worried and scared. Any advice given would be appreciated. :-)

Welcome to the board. icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry for all you have gone through. Can you say who your doctor is? Have you used multiple doctors? Have you spoken to your doctor recently about your fears?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Thank you for your kind words. :-)

My doctor was Dr Farjo (in Manchester). I saw him the other week, and he did ask whether I had suffered from shock loss etc. I didn't say anything because it wasn't too apparent then (maybe I didnt want to acknowledge it was happening). It's only now and with prove of photos that I can see an obvious difference - more so at the front.

I have just sent an e mail to Mick at farjo, asking his advice regarding this matter.

I was hoping someone on here might have had experience of this or could offer advice/explanations... :-)

Sparklebabe,

Do you mind if I ask you about your previous hair pulling? Was this accidental hair pulling that resulted in traction alopecia, or a purposeful hair pulling like trichotillomania?

If it's the latter, I do caution you to be vigilant to make sure you don't go back to hair pulling episodes. This can be detrimental to your hair transplant.

Are you able to tell at this point whether or not your natural hair or transplanted hair appears to be thinning?

8 months after surgery, you wouldn't be experiencing shock loss. However, there are a number of conditions that can cause or contribute to hair loss, especially in females. Read more on female hair loss.

I'm glad to hear that that you've contacted the Farjo Clinic. If at all possible, see Dr. Farjo in person and let them evaluate you. Depending on the nature of the loss, he may suggest you see a dermatologist for a full medical makeup to narrow down its cause.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for your reply, and no I haven't pulled my hair in over ten years.

I would say it is the hair that is already there, that has been most effected.

Could it be possible that I have just shed more than usual hair,linked with the transplant?

Thank you Bill for the link pertaining to female hair loss.

I think the cause of my hair loss could be to do with the birth control pill I am on. The one it mentions in the link, no less! I have been on this particular pill for 4 mnths, so would tie with the hair loss starting over the last few (possible 6) weeks.

If this is the case, it states in the link I could suffer continued hair loss, even after I have stopped taking this pill!!! *sighs*

Would taking minoxidil be a good idea??? Though I know when I took this before the hair transplant, it did initially make some hair come out too!! :-(

Advice gratefully received. :-)

Hello, me again :-)

I was just wondering whether someone could answer this question for me.

As reported above, I am losing hair. However, this looks very likely it's due to taking the birth control pill Yasmin (for the last 3 mnths). I hope now I have stopped the excessive shedding will stop.

I have noticed recently some new growth (about an inch and a half long) but along with some of the longer hairs, a few of these days are coming out too. Could this just be part of the general shedding I am getting as my body adjusts from the pill? Or is it a sign that the hair cycle is becoming shorter and thus a sign of a more serious condition (perm hair loss)?

Replies would be very welcome :-)

Sparklebabe,

Yasmin is a birth control pill that combines ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone. Because Yasmin may induce hair follicles into the telogen phase (hair shedding) of the hair growth cycle, hair loss is a reported side effect.

I strongly encourage you to speak with your physician about Yasmin and other birth control pill options. You may want to consider low androgen index birth control pills. You may also want to ask to be tested for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or any other hormonal fluctuation that may be increasing the amount of DHT in the body. Reducing the amount of the DHT androgen in the body may help minimize the effects of androgenic alopecia (if you have it).

For your reference, here is a list of birth control pills ranging from the lowest androgen index to the highest: Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Micronor, Nor-Q D, Ovcon-35, Brevicon/Modicon, Ortho Norvum 7/7/7, Ortho Novum 10-11, Tri-Norinyl, Norinyl and Ortho 1/35, Demulen 1/35, Triphasil/Tri-Levien, Nordette, Lo/Ovral, Ovrette, Ovral, Loestrin1/20, Loestrin 1.5/30.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you, Bill for such an informative post. I have been to my doctor and had every blodd test under the sun!!! All came back clear. So firstly, I'm taking that as a good sign. Moreover, he agrees that the dreaded Yasmin pill is probably the cause, and thus my hair should recover in a few months (here's praying).

I am taking heart from seeing some new growth, and hope the body will rebalance it's self shorty. :-)

Again, thank you for your reply.

Sparklebabe,

I'm glad to hear everything else appears normal. Keep in mind that hair regrowth can take several months. So if Yasmin is the culprit, don't lose heart if your hair doesn't regrow immediately. I'm glad to hear you're already seeing signs of some regrowth.

Keep us posted :-)

Bill