Is an itchy scalp a symptom of MPB?

mahhong

I'm fairly sure I have MPB; my hair is thinning diffusely and my family history would strongly suggest I'm not going to escape unscathed! I first noticed my hair thinning probably about two years ago but the last 6 months it's gone downhill pretty rapidly. I was in the middle of a very stressful job so didn't notice (I work freelance) but now it's over I have most certainly noticed!

However a couple of things I wanted to query. From what I can tell of my family history nobody in the family from either side went bald diffusely. My Dad receded at temples and crown but had a strong vertex/mid scalp into his forties - his Dad still has a pretty strong mid-scalp! On the other side my Grandfather went very bald but didn't start until his 30's.

In addition I've also noticed the last few months how itchy my scalp has been. Although I've searched on the net I've not found much in the way of itchy scalp being a definitive symptom of MPB. It's itchy nearly all the time, and I've noticed a lot of spots in my head and on my face (I'm 27 and do not suffer from them as a rule, apart from the odd one or two).

Anyway, I'm fairly certain baldness is on the cards whatever happens, but I wondered if perhaps there were further underlying causes than just genetics? Perhaps there could be a thyroid issue or the stress of the last job (very stressful) caused problems? My hair seems to have gone downhill very rapidly and in a pretty random way (back and sides still strong, but the hairloss on the top of my scalp almost seems to be starting right at the top and spreading out to the sides.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow (about an unrelated matter, but also a general checkup I guess). Should I push for hormone or thyroid tests? I'm not yet on propecia/minoxidil but that's going to change in the next few weeks, but should I maybe get a diagnosis and look into some other things first?

Also, a slightly unrelated question but I didn't want to make a separate thread just for it. Are there any good dermatologists in the UK that have expertise in hairloss (ideally around Bristol/Cardiff but I can travel)? Although I'm fairly sure I have or at least will have MPB I'd feel better getting an expert opinion before I get on drugs, especially as I have some other symptoms that could potentially point towards thyroid problems. I've looked at various dermatologists but I wondered if there were any recommendations from people on here specific to hair.

Thanks for your help!

Being in the UK myself (and in the South West) I really wish I could point you towards a good derm in the area. Male Pattern Baldness isn't a tough thing to diagnose though. If you suspect you have it then you probably do. It might be worth just being referred to whatever dermatologist your GP would pass you on to, and while you're at the doctors arrange to have your blood levels checked for thyroid hormones. I would suggest pushing to get the full panel including free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibodies, and not just the standard TSH test which often isn't enough. (Although TSH should be included.)

As for the itching, that's actually a very common issue with MPB and I'm surprised you didn't turn up a lot of material on it. Hairloss suffers often talk of it and some see the cessation of itching as one early sign that the drugs are working. (and a return of the sensation a sign that the drugs are losing effectiveness).

I've experienced it myself, most recently when I've missed a couple of days of Finasteride. Although for me it seems that the itching wears off after a few days without the drug, and this has made me wonder just how much I need to use it. Too scared to stop though!

The pimples are often seen in combination with the itching. Not on the face though, as far as I know. Just in the areas of itching.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi mattj,

Thanks for the post! To be honest I'm 99% sure it's MPB - our family is riddled with it on all sides! It struck me as odd though because my thinning is at odds with everybody in our family that I know of (from 2-3 generations back). I know genetics is not as simple as simply 'taking after' someone in your family for hairloss, but I just wondered if it was a good idea to contact a good derm.

Thanks for all the advice/thoughts though. Regarding the itching I think what threw me was a lot of pages suggesting itchy scalp is linked more to other types of hairloss, or at least there's no direct correlation between itchy scalp and MPB. Clearly though, as you've said, it's an observable symptom in a lot of men, and certainly not a smoking gun that there's something else going on.

I'll probably go and get the thyroid checked out anyway. I've had some other symptoms that could be linked to thyroid and there is thyroid problems in our history, but most of those symptoms have been incidental; tiredness etc. Nothing that would strongly suggest a thyroid problem. I've never had much of a health check anyway, though, so I'm keen to maybe give myself a bit of an examination anyway now I'm approaching 30!