Clear oozing discharge from scalp after hair transplant

Hi,

I had a hair transplant four days ago, and shortly after it I noticed clear discharge running from both my recipiant area and donor area, and other parts of my scalp too. I'm not sure whether this is just water - I've been spraying a light mist as the surgeon advised to prevent crusting and only lightly drying my hair after washing for fear of disloging the grafts.

However, I have read scary things about infections - could clear discharge be a sympton?? I would really appreciate your help; thanks.

cabanel,

I'm not a doctor but, as far as I know, discharge from an infection is typically pink or yellow and may have a foul odor. While some discharge is to be expected from a fresh wound, fluid running down your scalp seems excessive to me.

Of course, you've said yourself that this may be due to the mist you've been spraying.

I wouldn't take any chances, I recommend calling your hair transplant physician and perhaps scheduling a follow-up visit. If that's not possible, I would contact your general practitioner.

There is a lot at stake here and an infection may compromise the growth of your newly transplanted hair.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website