Question Concerning High Hairline / Large Forehead

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I hope to receive as much constructive criticism and advice as you can muster.

I'm 29 years old, thin blonde hair, limited family history of MPB (only my grandfather on my father's side of the family who is a NW VI since he was 26 years old). I will be getting a HT next month.

I have an unusually high hairline / forehead. When I was younger, I would get taunted about it. People would say that I was going bald or that I had a receding hairline (though I certainly wasn't at age 10) or that I just had a big forehead. No worries though... I could live with that.

However, in the past 4 years, my hairline actually has started to recede. So far it's receded about 2cm - 2.5cm. So now, my already high hairline / big forehead looks noticeably higher or more receded, depending on how you look at it.

I have to wear my hair combed forward to minimize my high hairline which is fine for now because that is the style I like. However, on windy days or when it's wet, the widow's peak is obvious, as is the receding hairline. Also, it's pretty obvious that I wear it forward to cover up my high hairline / big forehead (I've even had people tell as much). In the future, I'd definitely like to wear it pulled back.

So my question is this: After all the research I've done, I understand that it is inadvisable to try to restore to a 30 year old the hairline that I had at age 20. However, because I already had such a high hairline / big forehead, wouldn't it make since to simply put it back to were it was originally? Thus, I want to lower my current hairline about 2cm back to the original hairline. Also, how many grafts do you think I need?

I don't think I have "hair greed" as I see some posters call it. I just want it to look normal. I'm not going for a more youthful look, I just don't want to be the guy with the big forehead or high hairline. If I restored it to its original point, I think it would then look like I have a mature hairline, whereas now, it simply looks like a receding hairline.

I've included some photos of myself now so you can see. In the photos, my hair is wet and combed back. I never wear it this way. I only have it like this to show you how far back the recession has gone.

I hope to hear back from all of you soon. Many thanks everyone. This site has been an enormous help to me.

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Your goal is realistic, IMO. Your forehead doesn't look like it would be that big if brought forward to where you describe it as once being. It might be something that will draw the attention of other kids when you're very young, but it's absolutely fine for an adult.

How many grafts are you getting? - scrub that; just saw your other thread.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

As you are asking for opinions of graph count, I would say based on my own experience & me trying to be as thoughtful as I can - 3500 to 4000.

As you have such great hair (other than where it is now completely bald due to recession) in your existing covered frontal hairline, you will need a dense packed hairline to look natural. If a doctor is not aggressive here I think it will look disappointing. I say this from first hand experience and 3 hairline surgeries. Your hairline I'd guess is 25cm (I'm including the temple work needed to get a natural transition too). If you are looking to gain 2 cm at say 70 psqcm = 3500.

Obviously this is my amateur opinion - but I think that's what you asked for.

This is a lot of graphs for a hairline so if your crown is going you have to accept that you will let it. HT is a zero sum game. I chose a natural & dense (in HT terms) hairline over crown vs. average in both. This is due to my personal preference and excellent long term results with Propecia and now Avodart.

70 is dense so it will cause you to have redness for many months so you will have to wear your hair down to cover it. When you bring a hairline down I personally think it is most critical work in a HT. Not much room for error if its to look natural. All ones & a great hairline surgeon is must IMO. I would count on one hand the docs I'd trust to do this.

Hope this helps.

To Surfarosa,

Many thanks for your thoughtful response... very helpful.

After making this post last night, I had the idea to actually measure for myself what 2.5cm would look like on my head. I realized immediately that 2.5cm is A LOT! Even 2cm was too much!

Thus, I think a more realistic estimate is 1.5cm. I know it sounds like almost nothing on paper, but when I put the ruler to my head it all made sense. I have a very small scar on my forehead I got when I was 7 years old, right below my hairline, so I've always had a point from which to measure my recession by.

I definitely agree with you that the hairline is of the utmost importance. I would definitely choose a natural and dense hairline over an average hairline and crown any day of the week. To hell with the crown because I'm tall enough that very few people are ever looking downward on me- definitely not any women. Also, I don't really have MPB in my family (except my paternal grandfather), nor any visible signs of my crown thinning or receding. My crown is actually quite thick! So I think I'm in the clear on that one. I'm going to make sure I emphasize this to Dr. True when I see him this week. I'll also see what he estimates he can dense pack at.

Also, you mentioned that you only trust a few doctors with this type of procedure. Would you mind telling me who exactly? Feel free to private message me if you like.

Thanks again! And let me know if you have any further thoughts on my situation.

Have the doctor use the microscopic camera to check for miniaturization in the crown. That is the only really objective analysis. Drs Rassman and Bernstein believe that by your age (much younger actually) the pattern can be fully determined by a close examination of miniaturization in the various zones. Other coalition doctors completely dispute this.

If your doctor does not check for miniaturization - politely excuse yourself and leave.

If you are really just heading for a NW3 non-vertex then you can be more aggressive in the hairline as I suspect.

I would also guess (and I have absolutely nothing to back this up but a hunch) that once your HT grows in you will not wear your hair back !

Are you on Propecia?

I do not endorse doctors - sorry but that decision is personal. I've had work by only one doctor. I have not even seen another HT in person (that I'd say was good) by my doc or another so I could never really be a fair judge. I've seen loads of really impressive pictures online but pictures are just pictures. Some other members have actually seen other patients & could talk from first hand experience. Happy to answer any other questions that I can from my experience perspective.

No, I'm not on Propecia or any meds. I don't want to start either.

I will definitely ask about the miniaturization on my next visit.

Also, why would you guess that I won't wear my hair pulled back after the HT? Is my forehead really that big? lol!

No ! It's just that is what my plan was & I never do it. I think it's a hair greed thing coupled with a fear that someone with a keen eye might notice. Once you have more of a hairline you can create the illusion of more hair with forward scruffy styles if you have enough existing hair.

I just would'nt leave the house with my hairline exposed these days. It's all very personal so my comment is somewhat tounge in cheek. Some do and power to them,

I still personally think I could tell a HT hairline if I saw one but as I mentioned in my previous post - I have never seen work up close other than my own. Obviously I'm not going to count the bad jobs we have all unfortunately seen. I saw a guy the other day with very little and conservative work. I spotted it 30 yards away. It looked like pretty nice work - but to me it was so clearly a HT. I'm sure 95% of people would not have a clue.