what is the recovery like?

Hi,

I am considering hair restoration surgery and I am a bit worried about the recovery period. I wonder if it is like palstic surgery where you can get a lot of symptoms, like swelling, bruising. Are there products that you should consider getting to help during th recovery?

Thank you for your experiences!

Bob

Hi,

I am considering hair restoration surgery and I am a bit worried about the recovery period. I wonder if it is like palstic surgery where you can get a lot of symptoms, like swelling, bruising. Are there products that you should consider getting to help during th recovery?

Thank you for your experiences!

Bob

Bob,

During the first week after surgery you may have some facial swelling. Some patients have severe swelling while others have no swelling.

I've had two surgeries. After my first, I had no swelling at all. After my second surgery, I had swelling that lasted just one morning. (See my link below - there is a photo of the swelling). However, some patients have described swelling that lasts several days. Your surgeon will prescribe medication and give you post-op instructions that go a long way toward controlling post-op swelling.

During the first 7-10 days post-op, you will have visible small scabs where the grafts have been placed. After the scabs have dropped off you will most likely have some temporary pinkness or redness in the recipient area of your scalp. In some patients the discoloration clears very quickly, while others find it lingering for several months.

There are a number of concealers on the market that might be helpful while you wait for your transplanted hair to grow. Dermamatch and Topik (or Toppik?) seem to be popular products. I've used both after my surgeries. You can not use them at the same time, but depending on what you are trying to remedy, one or the other might work better for you.

It would be a good idea to order these before your surgery and try them out so that you are familiar with how to use them before surgery. It takes some experimentation to figure out how these products will work best for you.

Good luck,

Paul

One Year Photos: Dr. Sharon Keene

I am two months post-op and still wearing bandanas and hats to cover up the surgery... You;ve got to be prepared for "shock loss" that is, the hair that you already had in the recipient area falling out after the surgery making you look worse than you did prior to the surgery... also, the redness can (and did in my case) last for a good long while, not to mention zits, itching, and bumps, and of course the scabbing. Basicly, the recipient area of scalp is very sensitive and tender and...gulp... BALD... after the surgery and it can take a few months or more before it is back to normal. Be prepared to hibernate for a while, my friend.