questions about a receding hairline, with pics

Hello everybody

This is my first time posting, and I have some questions regarding my hairline and some possible treatments.

As you can see from the pictures below, I would say I am somewhere between a Norwood 2 and a 3? I am 23 years old, and first noticed my hairline receding when I was about 19/20. At that time, I started taking Rogaine, and it seemed to have an effect. After being on it for about a year, I noticed a possible slow down in hair loss, and also the growth of some peach fuzz (fine vellous hairs?) in my hair loss areas around the temples. Does that mean it was working?

Unfortunately, due to financial reasons, I had to stop on the rogaine treatment for the past year or so. The receding seems to be increasing, and the middle of my hairline also feels like it is thinning now. The crown of my head seems fine. I am wondering if I go back on a rogaine treatment (I have been able to get some more), will it still have a possibility of working? I have heard that once you stop a treatment like rogaine, starting it back up again will do no good. Is that true? Also, if I switch to the generic 5% minoxidil (much cheaper), will that make any difference?

I definitely have baldness in my family, on both sides, but it seems like almost all of the men in my family suffered only from a receding hairline (to a Norwood 5 or 6). It also doesn't help, as you can see in the pictures, that I inherited a big ol' forehead and pretty fine hair, which make it all the more noticeable.

Right now I am also taking some biotin vitamins, which my mother said makes for healthy hair. Does this affect/prevent hairloss in any way? I can notice my hair seems a little thicker when I take it.

Would anyone recommend anything else? I am aware that I probably won't regrow any hair, but keeping what I have now will help put me at ease, as I do not feel ready at all to be balding so badly at this age (as I'm sure everyone feels). Being bald as an old man, fine, but not in my 20's, please.

Thanks a lot for any info/advice.

IMG_3131.jpg.6632504f4363172f5d97a51922325ce4.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg.7b5ebda2c3365c106b4294c4cd65b2d6.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg.66c004c24d41b5082270e0ee5aa883d1.jpg

cloudhead,

Welcome to our hair loss community!

It's difficult to say whether or not Rogaine was working for you without viewing before and after photos. While it's quite possible that you had some new growth, it was probably at least helping to slow the progression of your hair loss.

Once you have stopped using minoxidil, any benefits you received will be lost in a few months as you experience "catch-up" loss. The medication will not cease to work if you start it up again but, since you will have lost a significant amount of hair during the down time, your hair will probably not return to the way it was the first time you used the medication.

Generic minoxidil will work just as well for you as Rogaine did. There is no difference in the active ingredient.

While Biotin may improve the quality of your existing hair, it will provide little to no noticeable cosmetic improvement and will not slow hair loss or grow new hair.

In my opinion, you should return to using 5% minoxidil twice daily and consult a physician about starting Propecia (finasteride).

Best of luck,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Wow, I really feel for you. I sport a similar hairline to you. In the past 2 years. The corners have receded back to the point where it's difficult to sweep my hair forward w/o gaps in the corner. So my self esteem is at an all time low.

All I can say is that, looking back, I wish I had a procedure done at your age, but now at 31, I wouldn't have known what my hairline would have looked like.

I'm of the opinion now that in your 20's and 30's is time to have a great hairline and when it matters most. My life certainly would have turned out differently in school and with girls due to my own self image issues.

Believe me, it F'in SUCKS to have a hairline like that in your 20's

Thanks for the responses.

jacksonbrowne - I agree, having my hair matters to me at this stage in my life (20's). Looking back at pictures from when I was 19 and had a flat hairline, the difference is disconcerting. I am 23 and it looks like my forelock is already thinning. I look at my face and feel 23, and then look at my hair and I feel like I'm 40. It's not a good feeling. I know that I'm vain, but whatever, I like my hair, and I want it (what is still there, anyway) to stay put.

TakingThePlunge - Thanks for your advice. I checked out your hairloss website, and it looks like you've had some great results. Looking good.

I am back on Rogaine, and have decided to start taking finasteride in hopes of preventing any further loss, or at least delaying it. My question is, where can I buy the generic finasteride? You mentioned on your site that you pay $8 a month for your minoxidil and finasteride. Can you point me in any direction for that, or do I need to see my doctor? Everything I see on the internet seems to be way too expensive. I am currently a student on a student budget, so $8/mo sounds pretty good.

Also, I realize I am too young for a transplant, but I was wondering when that becomes a possible course of action.

And I have read (on the internet, anyway) that finasteride can increase the risk of cancer. I realize that many things on the internet cannot be taken for fact, and that is why I am here on this forum asking this knowledgeable crowd. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks -

Cloudhead,

I know how you feel.

Its frustrating. Especially when you have hair, but it takes so much time in the morning trying to hide the vacant corners of the recession.

I had a VERY similar hairline, until about 5 months ago when my life really changed.

Its over month 5 and I dont worry or think about it much anymore because I dont have to spend time hiding the recession. I now have hair there. I feel very fortunate to have found a good doctor and had this done while I am young(25).

I am in process of posting 5 month Post Op pics now, so please look at some of the pictures and you will see how similar our hairlines are/were.