Question for a Doctor

I am just curious as to what is normal for losing hair. For example, I started on Propecia and Rogaine in March of this year. I had a hair transplant in April. I am (was) a class 3 to early 4 on the norwood scale, so I have quite a bit of hair with the exception of the front. I had experienced some recession in my "corners" up front along with a bit over the middle top. It was the start of the horshoe patterno look.

Finally...to my actual question itself. My understanding is that it is normal for a human to lose a 100 hairs or so a day. When I shower at night, I notice some hair, maybe 10 or so up to 20 maximum. I guess I am just curious to see what is normal to really try and understand whether or not I will benefit from Propecia and Rogaine. I understand Rogaine is only beneficial on the crown, and I don't necessarily need it...just using it for prevention. I would probably be able to gauge what is normal more accurately, but I immediately went to hair club for men as soon as my corners started receding, which was about three years ago or so. I just took "the rug" off about three weeks ago, and when the addition of toppik on the front, I think my hair actually looks pretty good. But since I had been wearing "the rug" for so long, I just am not sure what I should expect for hair loss to see if I am benefiting from Propecia or Rogaine. Therefore, understanding hair loss differs for everyone, I would like to receive some feedback if possible from a doctor, or from soneone who has truly benefited from the use of Propecia and/or Rogaine. Thank you for your consideration.

I am just curious as to what is normal for losing hair. For example, I started on Propecia and Rogaine in March of this year. I had a hair transplant in April. I am (was) a class 3 to early 4 on the norwood scale, so I have quite a bit of hair with the exception of the front. I had experienced some recession in my "corners" up front along with a bit over the middle top. It was the start of the horshoe patterno look.

Finally...to my actual question itself. My understanding is that it is normal for a human to lose a 100 hairs or so a day. When I shower at night, I notice some hair, maybe 10 or so up to 20 maximum. I guess I am just curious to see what is normal to really try and understand whether or not I will benefit from Propecia and Rogaine. I understand Rogaine is only beneficial on the crown, and I don't necessarily need it...just using it for prevention. I would probably be able to gauge what is normal more accurately, but I immediately went to hair club for men as soon as my corners started receding, which was about three years ago or so. I just took "the rug" off about three weeks ago, and when the addition of toppik on the front, I think my hair actually looks pretty good. But since I had been wearing "the rug" for so long, I just am not sure what I should expect for hair loss to see if I am benefiting from Propecia or Rogaine. Therefore, understanding hair loss differs for everyone, I would like to receive some feedback if possible from a doctor, or from soneone who has truly benefited from the use of Propecia and/or Rogaine. Thank you for your consideration.

It is true that a person with a full head of hair loses about 100 hairs per day - however, the loss varies greatly from day to day. It is probably not worth your time to count hairs. Good pretreatment photos to compare with follow-up pictures is the best way. The gains generally peak out at the scalp level at 1 year and peak out cosmetically at 2 years. Be patient.

It is my impression that Rogaine, while helpful, is pretty weak when used alone. However,when combined with a more powerful agent like Propecia it can become impressive. I strongly recommend using both. Be sure to use the X-strength Rogaine.

Make no mistake about it- these drugs are not of minor help. They can make a huge difference when continued several years. 90% of people have as much or more hair at 5 years than when they started treatment- and that is with Propecia alone. The percentage is even better when combined. Don't stop these medicines.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Thank you for your insight, it is much appreciated. Additionally, I started on FNS about a week ago, and I feel that there is something to that product. Easy to apply, since I shower every night before bed...put it on similar to a leave in conditioner. Obviously, this may be a bit premature, but I feel that the product will be beneficial now and hopefully in the future. Anybody may want to check it out at www.osmotics.com It is getting positive reviews, and this could be a "hot" product in the future. Thanks again for your time.