Propecia and Rogaine

Hello all. I have been using Propecia for nearly a year and while I think I've seen a slight decrease in hair over this period it definately seems to have slowed down the process. A couple of questions for you:

- Other than the standard Propecia side effects people talk about (libido etc) are you aware of any more harmful side effects. E.g. sperm count, longer term illnesses. It's something I am concerned about

- Is it worthwhile to take Rogaine in addition to Propecia. I used Rogaine for a month but couldn't stand it; but now with Rogaine Foam it sounds like a lot of the things I hated about have been resolved (i.e. spills, oily hair...)

Your help is much appreciated.

Hello all. I have been using Propecia for nearly a year and while I think I've seen a slight decrease in hair over this period it definately seems to have slowed down the process. A couple of questions for you:

- Other than the standard Propecia side effects people talk about (libido etc) are you aware of any more harmful side effects. E.g. sperm count, longer term illnesses. It's something I am concerned about

- Is it worthwhile to take Rogaine in addition to Propecia. I used Rogaine for a month but couldn't stand it; but now with Rogaine Foam it sounds like a lot of the things I hated about have been resolved (i.e. spills, oily hair...)

Your help is much appreciated.

Side effects with Propecia occur in less that 1% of patients. If you have used the drug for as long as you have and not experienced any side effects I think you are OK. You still may wish to check in with you doctor though.

You are not alone with the minox. Many men and women have compliance issues with this topical. It can leave the scalp greasy and in other cases, flaky. For those who do not have a problem with the minox, it is a good therapy to use, particularly in conjunction with Propecia. See how you like the foam. I am hearing pretty good things about it.

There is some anecdotal data that would suggestion that Propecia and Minox together can work better than either therapy alone.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

olean,

Welcome to our community.

I agree with thehairlosscure. Consult with your doctor, however, I am unware of any long term side effects with the medication. Side effects seem to be rare, but if you experience any, you may consider stopping the medication. Reports from Merck state that stopping the medication will reverse any side effects if you experience them.

Many people combine finasteride and minoxodil. This is the BEST treatment anyone can do with medicine. While finasteride helps minimize DHT to the scalp, minoxodil can stimulate circulation potentially causing new growth. It's the best chance you have medically IMO. Of course, this doesn't work for everyone.

Personally, I too wasn't a fan of minox...though I've heard some good things about the foam...haven't tried it myself...probably won't at this point 3 transplants later.

Hope this helps.

Bill