Question ABout Rogaine

Moises

Im 21 nw1-nw2 Not excactly sure, I noticed my hairloss and quite frankly nearly went crazy, I was on this site and many others reading up on peoples post and experiances. I decided to give propecia a try so I made a doctors appointment to get a prescription. I wasnt able to get in for about a week so I decided to jump on Rogaine figuring I would use them both for my battle with hair lose... During the month before I started using rogaine and propecia I looked at my hairline probably 50 Times a day inspecting it to see if any new hairs had fallen out or if I could see it moving back. At one point I thought it was all in my head and that the worry actaully came from myself rather than reality, so I was completely convinced that hairloss wasnt quiet as bad as I thought it was. I figured I might aswell stay on Propecia Because I hadnt had any side effects on it and I've read alot of post where people said "had I only started using it sooner I would be in good shoes"... well I figured, looks like im in good shoes because I was one step ahead... By the way during this time I have take many photos and compaired them and thats what made me really realize that he hairline/loss wasnt moving... I only used rogaine for about a week or so, it was really messy and a pain in the neck to use not to mention it gave me REALLY bad dandruff and made my head itch like CRAZY!!! I ended up stop using it and since then my hairline still has major major dandruff and now my hair has visibly thinned and is starting to move back. My belief is this has something to do with rogain, no other place on my had is suffering from hair loss, I run my fingers through my hair constantly and have absolutely no hairloss but when i barely touch any hairs in the area that rogaine was applied the hairs drop like falling trees icon_frown.gif. Many of the posters say when they take a shower they have massive shedding or when they sleep their pillow is covered with hairs.. Not mine its only when i touch my front hairline where I used the rogain.. My question is, will these hairs grow back? Im really really concerned. Any opinion would be great

Moises,

Man, that's a tough one. I'm going to have to doubt that if you applied Rogaine for only one week that discontinuing would be the reason you are shedding at the hairline. I'm almost willing to bet that you were always shedding at the hairline but noticed it more recently only because of your recent scrutinizing of the situation. Rogaine is not intended for use at the hairline. Many do apply Monoxidil at the hairline because there is no evidence to say that it does NOT benefit, but Rogaine explicitly states that it is recommended for the crown and top of the head only.

My advice: Stay on the Propecia. Take care of your hair and your scalp with Nizoral 2%. This requires a prescription, so if you don't want to go to the hassle of getting it prescribed, you can still find 1% on the shelf at Eckerd's, Walgreen's, CVS, etc.

If you are truly against restarting Rogaine, then stand behind your decision. It is definitely NOT a drug that you can start and stop inadvertently. This will definitely cause shedding especially in the crown area. Actually, the Rogaine itself won't cause the shedding, the halt of its use after long enough exposure will.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

SD is right... only after you have been using Rogaine for a while- and stop- will your hairloss resume.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

The only reason I think that rogaine has something to do with the shedding is because my skin itches really bad where it was applied, it burns at times and thats the only place I have any hairs falling out.. I seriously run my hands all throughout the rest of my hair more so pulling and nothing falls then I'll barely fiddle with the hairs up from and bam **TIMBER**.. I havent used rogain for over 2 weeks now and my skin seriously is peeling, ever time I go tanning i wipe off the sweat and theres always layers of skin on my forehead thats moved when I sweat...

Minoxidil has alcohol in it. You may be experiencing a bad reaction to that. For the sake of your hairline and your anxiety, I hope that is the culprit and I also hope it is temporary. If you are two weeks out from using Rogaine for only a week and still experiencing this trauma, perhaps you should consider speaking to a dermatologist.

I wish you the best and please keep us posted as to your condition.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Moises, please be aware that there are versions of minoxidil 5% (certain types of xandrox) that have different ingredients that may not irritate your head. check minoxidil.com

You could also look into folligen or tricomin to deal with itch issues.

Thanks for the advice, but Im just gonna can the whole rogaine idea and stick with propecia... Hopefully it works for me icon_smile.gif.. My hairloss is pretty minimal at this point.. Im thinking about going in for about a 1000-1200 FUE transplant. I know alot of people would suggest NOT going in for a transplant at the age of 21 but with propecia on my side and the fact that my dad is 45 and about nw3-4 im pretty sure that in 20-25 years technology will have advanced majorly and I should be able to hopefully defeat the battle of hairloss...

Ok I figured the sweating causes some serious burning... I drove around today in 95 degree weather... Now the front of my head is burning like hell just like when i get out of the tanning bed.. Anyone have any info on why this could be happening... I havent used rogaine for a long while now

Moises,

Yeah, If I'm not mistaken it has been around three weeks since you have used the Rogaine. This doesn't sound like it may be a side effect of that any more. You really may want to contact a dermatologist.

-Robert

Honestly the hair in the front hairline has thinned SO much its crazy, its thinned and its moved back more in less than a month than it has ever ( I dont think it had moved at all before). I just got out out the shower and all along the hairline and at the temples theres a rash like redness and it still burns like hell. When you apply rogaine are you suppose to shower each time before applying it or no? Becuase on occasion I didnt shower before going to bed and re-applied over the existing layer I had put on in the morning time, maybe thats what burned the shit out of my scalp. Like I can kinda see baby hair coming in but they fall out as easy as the rest.. I really hope this is a "shedding" process the box says will occure, it says it will make you shed upto 2 weeks does anyone know if the hairs that shed should grow back? Maybe I should read it and see if it said anything about a "burning" sensation if you discontinue use.. Oh well, I really hope these hairs grow back.... Im not one for accessories so I think a hats out of the question Im about to shave my damn head but I think I'll look like a retard.. Why me!!!!

Moises,

As I said before, I think you should definitely consult a dermatologist on this. This is the first that I have heard of Rogaine giving such a bad reaction, so I am pretty sure that there is something else causing it.

Don't forget to keep us updated, though!

-Robert