how secure are the transplanted hairs?

Hi,

I've posted before about different issues, but I have a new one today. I had my procedure done about 2 months ago, around 1800 FUT's to the hairline, and today as I was cleaning water out of my cellar, near my sump pump, as I live in the Northeast and we're getting clobbered by rain, I accidently bumped my head on an overhanging shelf. Since the top of my head is still fairly numb I couldn't feel any pain and didn't think much of it. However, as I was watching football a few hours after the bump, I ran my hand over my scalp and felt what seemed to be a scab. Well, when I took a look at what I had in my fingers, it was like a tiny piece of skin pulp had come out with around 3 hairs clinging to it. However, since it's on the edge of my previous hairline I can't tell if it's my old hair or an implant since it does seem to have the pulp of skin that came with it. I guess it looks like a graft came out. I also have a little round circle on my scalp that feels indented and is bloody and I did put some anti-bacterium on it. Sorry for the long saga but my question is: If it was a damaged graft would the graft be secure enough in the hairline and grow back again or would it be too early for it to be hair grown from a graft since the hairs were about an inch long and and probably could not have grown so fast after just 2 months since the procedure? Phew, Glad I got that off my chest.

Hi,

I've posted before about different issues, but I have a new one today. I had my procedure done about 2 months ago, around 1800 FUT's to the hairline, and today as I was cleaning water out of my cellar, near my sump pump, as I live in the Northeast and we're getting clobbered by rain, I accidently bumped my head on an overhanging shelf. Since the top of my head is still fairly numb I couldn't feel any pain and didn't think much of it. However, as I was watching football a few hours after the bump, I ran my hand over my scalp and felt what seemed to be a scab. Well, when I took a look at what I had in my fingers, it was like a tiny piece of skin pulp had come out with around 3 hairs clinging to it. However, since it's on the edge of my previous hairline I can't tell if it's my old hair or an implant since it does seem to have the pulp of skin that came with it. I guess it looks like a graft came out. I also have a little round circle on my scalp that feels indented and is bloody and I did put some anti-bacterium on it. Sorry for the long saga but my question is: If it was a damaged graft would the graft be secure enough in the hairline and grow back again or would it be too early for it to be hair grown from a graft since the hairs were about an inch long and and probably could not have grown so fast after just 2 months since the procedure? Phew, Glad I got that off my chest.

There is a study that was performed by Bernstein and Rassman where they tested graft security. It is available online here:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/resources/GraftAnchoring05.php

In summary, after 10 days, they are pretty much fused. After 2 months, they are definitely fused. Paranoia is normal, and I think EVERYBODY goes through it. If you had hit your head on day three or something, that would be another matter. But 2 months? Don't worry.

Stimpy

Actually, the scabbing is one of the specific issues addressed in that article I posted above. They rudely yanked scabs off post HT, and before 5 days (IIRC), it *always* pulled the graft out with it. After 10 days, it NEVER pulled the graft out! So, if rudely yanking the scab from the HT itself after 10 days never pulls the graft out, it seems unlikely that pulling off a scab from an unrelated injury at 2 months would cause any damage whatsoever.

A disclaimer, though, I guess if the injury was deep enough it *could* damage the follicles, whether transplanted or native. But the bottom line is that at 2 months, the transplanted hairs really *are* native. I know there is still scalp redness and all that, but the grafts themselves are long since secure. They are not even really grafts anymore, but just part of your head like the rest of your hair.

Stimpy