Propecia VS Proscar

Hi guys,

I'm 21 years old and I'm about 2 and a bit months into my Finasteride treatment (70 days I believe) and I'm experiencing massive shedding and it seems to be affecting my front hair line & temples as well as the normal crown & vertex. From what I've been told this is normal. I currently take one quarter of a Proscar tablet (1.25 mg) daily instead of Propecia, which I have never taken.

My reason for concern is that I've just read through a couple of horror stories on the internet about users who used Propecia for a substantial amount of time with success and then switched to Proscar to save money and suddenly noticed bad results, mainly very heavy shedding! Just to ease my mind.... is one-fifth Proscar EXACTLY the same as taking one propecia tablet? Are there any other known side affects of using Proscar over Propecia? Any feedback or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hi Outthere

Understand that Propecia and Proscar are the exact same medication (Finasteride) in different strengths. Propecia is 1mg of Finasteride and Proscar is 5mg, so taking 1/4 of a Proscar is 1.25 mg vs. 1mg in a single Propecia tablet. You can never cut a Proscar exactly into 1/4's however many of us HT clients do this as Proscar is generally covered by insurance for treatment of an enlarged Prostate gland and Propecia is specifically for hairloss.

TMAN

Another facet of cutting Proscar is that the finasteride within the pill may not be completely evenly distributed, thus one cutting it would not get an exact doseage every time even if the cuts were exactly 1/4 or 1/5. I really have to give it to the guys cutting into fifths. Cutting into quarters was hassle enough for me.

The half-life for finasteride is long enough that this distribution issue and even the cutting issue should not be a detriment. Personally, I had good results cutting Proscar.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog