Concealing agents postoperatively

I had a HT with 2800 FUs in June 2005. It is almost 3 months postop and I have seen no growth as of yet (still early though). My fear is that I also have been using DermMatch and Toppik regularly since week 3 postop although I have been washing it out ALMOST every evening before I go to bed to allow my scalp to "breath". I fear that this might affect growth. I have emailed 3 consultants this week representing 3 well-known HT places and I have received 2 responses so far. One said that it should be ok if washed out daily. The other said to avoid them altogether as it can damage HTs and even nontransplanted hair. For HTs they said in their experience when used regularly it sometimes only achieve 70% of results. This obviously scares me thinking that I have made a huge mistake and have "wasted" valuable donor tissue. I will keep you all updated. Hopefully over the next few months we can get some answers from people who have had HTs who have used such concealing agents postoperatively. Any comments greatly appreciated.

I had a HT with 2800 FUs in June 2005. It is almost 3 months postop and I have seen no growth as of yet (still early though). My fear is that I also have been using DermMatch and Toppik regularly since week 3 postop although I have been washing it out ALMOST every evening before I go to bed to allow my scalp to "breath". I fear that this might affect growth. I have emailed 3 consultants this week representing 3 well-known HT places and I have received 2 responses so far. One said that it should be ok if washed out daily. The other said to avoid them altogether as it can damage HTs and even nontransplanted hair. For HTs they said in their experience when used regularly it sometimes only achieve 70% of results. This obviously scares me thinking that I have made a huge mistake and have "wasted" valuable donor tissue. I will keep you all updated. Hopefully over the next few months we can get some answers from people who have had HTs who have used such concealing agents postoperatively. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Hello Krypto -

Not mean to scare you or anything.. but I had used dermmatch in the past, and I noticed more shedding because hair was getting very dry and brutal.. and my scalp always felt very dirty and sticky.. I wanted to use it after my HT, but I was too scared to use it on my transplants, so I just walked around with bold spot for few months.... I am glad I did that... Now I can't be too sure if the Dermmatch really affects your hair condition or new transplants, but I don't recommend it because I think it looks 'unnatural'.. I know it look really great indoors, but if you go outside - it will be very noticable that you have done something to cover your bald spot...

You should not worry too much about it, your lost hair will grow back once you stop using dermmatch.

KG