Age as a factor in recovery

I posted a similar question on the boards for patient feedback, but I would also like to hear from the doctors ... does age play a significant factor in recovery and long-term success of a HT?

Specifically:

1) Does it affect how long it takes to return to a normal appearance, i.e. - I can go back to work without hearing gasps of horror.

2) Does it affect the long-term appearance of the donor scar? Is it any more or less likely to be noticeable? Wider? Pinker? etc.

3) Is there a greater chance of swelling as you get older?

4) Is the incidence of "shock loss" affected by age?

I would assume as with any type of healing, the younger the better, and at 31, I am still young, so hopefully this will be either a neutral or beneficial factor in regards to the aesthetic result of my procedure.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

[This message was edited by Teddw2ds on March 29, 2003 at 08:33 AM.]

I posted a similar question on the boards for patient feedback, but I would also like to hear from the doctors ... does age play a significant factor in recovery and long-term success of a HT?

Specifically:

1) Does it affect how long it takes to return to a normal appearance, i.e. - I can go back to work without hearing gasps of horror.

2) Does it affect the long-term appearance of the donor scar? Is it any more or less likely to be noticeable? Wider? Pinker? etc.

3) Is there a greater chance of swelling as you get older?

4) Is the incidence of "shock loss" affected by age?

I would assume as with any type of healing, the younger the better, and at 31, I am still young, so hopefully this will be either a neutral or beneficial factor in regards to the aesthetic result of my procedure.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

[This message was edited by Teddw2ds on March 29, 2003 at 08:33 AM.]

As far as age I don't really think it makes any difference as I have seen patients from 20 to 65 on different Dr.'s websites.

In my case I have had three procedures done at age 41, 44, and 45. If I look back on old photo's from age 30-35 I had a lot of hair, relatively speaking. From 35-40 I started losing a lot in the crown and had a 2 1/2" to 3" bald spot by age 40 but still a pretty good amount towards the front. The crown area was filled in at age 40, to a satisfactory degree but between age 40 and 44 the frontal area started to go quite fast. In my case, with each procedure I was bact at work on the following Monday and since I wear a baseball cap at lot any way nobody noticed or questioned a thing. After all the new grafts fall out in a few weeks it just looks like you have a sunburn in the grafted area. The scar can be covered over by letting your hair grow long in the back before the the surgery. Only my wife and kids, a couple of close friends and of couse my hair stylist know I have had this done. If any has montioned anything about my hair at all, it was to say, "oh you are letting your hair grow out now" or that I am wearing it different or something. It is totally natural looking and grows in so gradually over the course of a year that no one can remember what you looked like a year ago with your thinning hair.