hair styles

I am young and in the early stages of hair loss and have gotten a 600 graft HT to the front part of my head. Obviously, I know that I will have to go back in the future for more procedures as I lose more hair. In my initial consultation my doc talked to me about that and said in the worst case scenario (if Propecia doesn't work, which it hasn't been), I'll have the front half of my head transplanted with a bald crown. I know donor hair is finite, so my question is this. If I keep my hair cut short, is it possible or has anyone seen it done to transplant farther back than just the front half of the head, but with everything thinner? I mean, thin as in you can see your scalp with it cut short. I am curious because I remember a former boss of mine who had his hair like that, no HT's, just the way his hair loss had progressed. He had most of his head covered with hair, it was just very thin and cut very short. Is that possible with HT's? Thanks.

I am young and in the early stages of hair loss and have gotten a 600 graft HT to the front part of my head. Obviously, I know that I will have to go back in the future for more procedures as I lose more hair. In my initial consultation my doc talked to me about that and said in the worst case scenario (if Propecia doesn't work, which it hasn't been), I'll have the front half of my head transplanted with a bald crown. I know donor hair is finite, so my question is this. If I keep my hair cut short, is it possible or has anyone seen it done to transplant farther back than just the front half of the head, but with everything thinner? I mean, thin as in you can see your scalp with it cut short. I am curious because I remember a former boss of mine who had his hair like that, no HT's, just the way his hair loss had progressed. He had most of his head covered with hair, it was just very thin and cut very short. Is that possible with HT's? Thanks.

This has entered my mind as well. I am 3 months post op and a short, easy to take care of hair style would suit me fine at this point. I know well what you are describing - a receeding, sparse buzz cut. If my doc can give me enough density to achieve this I'd be happy. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible once the newly transplanted hairs thicken up. Also, you do have the result of all the hair being the same length.

I do believe, however, that this may be less desirable on someone with a light complexion.

Any doctors who would care to comment I'd also like to read their answers

The amount of area that can be transplanted varies with each patient.It depends upon the amount of hair loss and available donor hair.A thin coverage over a larger area is posssible if that is what the patient desires. I suggest that you make sure that the density in the front is satisfactory to you before you start doing work in the back half. The front half including the hairline has more impact on a persons appearence than the crown area. Also, the importance of the hairline stays constant as one ages, but the crown region usually decreases in importance as you get older. Keep in mind shorter hair looks like thinner hair. This is even more pronounced in persons with dark hair and lighter complexion.