FUE - long term

Rugger

can anyone , surgeon or otherwise, comment on the long term look of a donor area after FUE sessions?...

as we all know, hair density will decrease as a person ages...would the amount of removed hair from an FUE surgery, cause that area to look excessively thin in the coming years?..since that it what is taking place with FUE, a "thinning" of the donor area....as opposed to strip, where "removal and suturing" leaves the donor area with the same density...

thats not to say that a strip scar might not be revealed as you age as well,but might be more easily hidden with longer hair....but wouldn't a inch wide donor area from FUE look like a one inch strip of thinner density, than the rest of your scalp?....

I have yet to see anyone address this question...but if you're looking at long term affects of FUE, shouldn't someone have an answer?...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

can anyone , surgeon or otherwise, comment on the long term look of a donor area after FUE sessions?...

as we all know, hair density will decrease as a person ages...would the amount of removed hair from an FUE surgery, cause that area to look excessively thin in the coming years?..since that it what is taking place with FUE, a "thinning" of the donor area....as opposed to strip, where "removal and suturing" leaves the donor area with the same density...

thats not to say that a strip scar might not be revealed as you age as well,but might be more easily hidden with longer hair....but wouldn't a inch wide donor area from FUE look like a one inch strip of thinner density, than the rest of your scalp?....

I have yet to see anyone address this question...but if you're looking at long term affects of FUE, shouldn't someone have an answer?...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

To play devils advocate, no one can say also what a strip scar will look like look term. The technology is 10 years old, give or take. Yet, most of us are considering or having these surgeries because we are willing to take a risk on looking better now, while risking some scar issues at a later date. No one can really predict the future on scars on either surgery 100%. Ultimitely, you want to get the best possible results for the least amount of scarring. Although my instinct is that fue scarring (and i have only seen pictures) may be less noticable over time than strip. But who knows. At the same time, no doctor, except Woods, seems to have more than 1 or 2 after pictures of fue work. The N. American doctors have only been doing this for about a year or so, it seems. Whereas there are thousands of good strip patients with solid after pictures to bank your decision off of. I would feel much less comfortable getting a fue procedure on the results of one or two results. That is not statistically significant at all. Fue seems that a real attractive alternative, but its just in its infancy. Strip has about a 10 year track record. I'd rather have more secure results now than roll the dice with fue. It all comes down to risk/reward. Yet, everyone has to do what feels most comfortable for them.

also, I would argue that strip, to some degree, thins out your surrounding donor hair by way of stretching the remaining hair-bearing skin over a larger area. still, though, i agree FUE just doesn't have the evidence yet.