Donor Scar Options

I have heard of many different ways to treat the donor scar area.

I visited NHI recently, and understand they use sutures that dissolve on their own.

Another method is staples that have to be pulled out by a medical team.

Lastly, I know that some doctors use basic stitches, which also have to be pulled out be a medical team.

Does anybody know the pros and cons of each one of these procedures?

Thanks

I have heard of many different ways to treat the donor scar area.

I visited NHI recently, and understand they use sutures that dissolve on their own.

Another method is staples that have to be pulled out by a medical team.

Lastly, I know that some doctors use basic stitches, which also have to be pulled out be a medical team.

Does anybody know the pros and cons of each one of these procedures?

Thanks

There are many pros and cons to all three types of donor closure you mentioned. You will find doctors that will support the use of each method and claim the others are not as effective. I have tried all 3 methods. In my experience, I found that patients had a tremendous amount of discomfort with the use of staples, but the donor scars came out very satisfactory. I have seen several cases were dissolvable sutures caused tissue reaction which I believe led to increased scarring. So I mainly use standard suture which needs to be removed 7-12 days after the procedure. This also insures that the patient will be seen for follow-up to make sure that everything in the donor and recipient areas is healing properly.

• 1 month later...

after reading tons of posts, searching, seeing pacients, and receive my personal experience, I can say that:

the best procedure is standar sutured non-removal points and wait for 3 weeks ( 21 days ) to remove them.

All people who has used this system has a non-visible scar.

Anyway, I guess it depends on the patient and how the cut is done.

Having had two surgeries with the two layer closure method, my personal opinion is that this is the way to go. The inner layer was dissolvable suture, the outer was standard suture that had to be removed after a week. My scar is difficult to find.