Questions about HT with Dr. Wong

I have decided on a HT with Dr. Wong. Have to say I am a bit nervous.

Just wondering a few things:

1) If I go with FUE, (2500 grafts) is it possible to shave my head and look normal within 2 months while waiting for the hair to fully re-grow?

2) How long after the transplant do I have to stay out of the sun?

3) Is it painful?

4) I am spending a lot of money - I'm hoping this works and that I don't end up looking worse than before.

Othwerwise, I'm pretty excited to finally not have to worry about my hair. I just get very self conscious when I play sports and start to sweat - it would be nice to have some thickness up thereicon_smile.gif I also think it will make me look as young as I feel (I'm 32, but I think I look a lot older).

Anyway, had to get some stuff off my chest. Thanks for reading.

I have decided on a HT with Dr. Wong. Have to say I am a bit nervous.

Just wondering a few things:

1) If I go with FUE, (2500 grafts) is it possible to shave my head and look normal within 2 months while waiting for the hair to fully re-grow?

2) How long after the transplant do I have to stay out of the sun?

3) Is it painful?

4) I am spending a lot of money - I'm hoping this works and that I don't end up looking worse than before.

Othwerwise, I'm pretty excited to finally not have to worry about my hair. I just get very self conscious when I play sports and start to sweat - it would be nice to have some thickness up thereicon_smile.gif I also think it will make me look as young as I feel (I'm 32, but I think I look a lot older).

Anyway, had to get some stuff off my chest. Thanks for reading.

Baldeagle,

Welcome to our community!

Answers to your questions:

1. 2 months gives you ample time to look semi "normal" however, keep in mind that FUE is not a scarless surgical procedure. Scarring will be different than a strip surgery linear scar. Many patients can shave their head to a 2 or sometimes even 1 clip with FUE, but shaving all the way down will reveal FUE scarring

2. In total, I recommend giving it a good 6 months - however after 2 weeks to a month you can start wearing sun block on your head. Before that, wear a hat outside in the sunlight.

3. The most painful part of the surgery IMO is getting the anesthetic. The first 2 days post op healing for Strip will be more painful than FUE. Expect some discomfort

4. Physician selection is vital to ensure a quality hair transplant. Dr. Wong is an outstanding physician but he does not perform FUE (wanthairs, you are correct).

Best wishes,

Bill

Unfortunately, I find that there is no hard line answer to how short your can clip you hair after a hair transplant. One thing I will say is that that curly donor hair helps to cover, conceal, and obscure donor scarring better than straight hair ??“ with STRIP and FUE. I think curly-haired patients are often able to get away with a shorter cut.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.