Dissolving sutures and donor scar

Quincy Columbo

I had my proceedure done just about 3 months ago and my doctor used disolving sutures in the donor region. They did not disolve very well. My girlfriend was finding a few here and there at the thirty and even past the 60 days post op.I believe that they are finally gone. I think the scar could have looked much better if regular sutures were used or if I would have had the disolving sutures removed by a physician at the 10 day post op mark.I think disolving sutures irritate the skin since you can tell where they went in and out along the scarline.I developed a couple small sores along the scarline also.Its beginning to look better and I believe I'll be happier as I get more healing time behind me. I've been using maderma regularly and occasionally neosporin when needed. I'm also hoping that I get some more hair growth to come back in along the scar line since I think the sutures may have caused some minor fallout along the scarline. Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience?

I had my proceedure done just about 3 months ago and my doctor used disolving sutures in the donor region. They did not disolve very well. My girlfriend was finding a few here and there at the thirty and even past the 60 days post op.I believe that they are finally gone. I think the scar could have looked much better if regular sutures were used or if I would have had the disolving sutures removed by a physician at the 10 day post op mark.I think disolving sutures irritate the skin since you can tell where they went in and out along the scarline.I developed a couple small sores along the scarline also.Its beginning to look better and I believe I'll be happier as I get more healing time behind me. I've been using maderma regularly and occasionally neosporin when needed. I'm also hoping that I get some more hair growth to come back in along the scar line since I think the sutures may have caused some minor fallout along the scarline. Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience?

Quincy...

I was basically given my choice of normal sutures, staples, or dissolvable sutures. My doctor explained the pros/cons of each and made his recommendation. I think some guys opt for dissolvable sutures either for convenience of not having to go to back to a doc to have them removed, or because their HT doc is across country and they're not able to get back.

Once the doc explained everything to me, I went with the normal sutures (his recommendation). It allows the doctor to remove them, there's less complications (if i recall correctly as to what he said), and it puts the removal back in the hands of a doctor who can also properly clean the area once he's removed them.

I had no complications whatsoever and my scar looks good (so far...I'm not quite 6 months post-op). If I go through another strip procedure, I'd definitely do normal sutures again.

I had the same problems of sutures not completely dissolving, being slightly infected for a few weeks ... with an irregular and bumpy feel to the closure. I had to request regular sutures for my second procedure to get them. The offer was never made. My doc seemed unconcerned about any of my complications and poor results. I'd never use them unless they were internal.